My camera SD card would reset, after transfering files from it, and disconnecting it from my computer

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
Hello:
I've a Canon SX150IS camera and a USB card reader, which I using it to transfer the pictures and video, from the SD card of my camera, to my computer.
Recently, I've experienced 3-4 times cases that after I disconnecting my card reader with the SD card from my computer, and inserting the SD card back to my camera, than turning it on, an error message "Memory card error" would appear on my camera display, forces me to format the SD card.
Why this is happens? Is the SD card reaching its End Of Life?

Solution
I am a photographer and there are several times I have had the issue you are having.

Usually it is caused after you change something on the SD card while in Windows.

Try to take pictures on another card and copy the files to Windows. Then see if it gives you the same error.

Otherwise try some options below.

Here is what I do...

1- Make sure to eject card from PC via the notification bar in Windows. (Sounds like you already do this)

2- Try another memory card in your camera and turn camera on. Then turn back off and replace new card with problematic card and turn back on.

3- Try to use another SD card reader.

4- SD cards a very fragile and it very well could be that the card chip is faulty.

Darkvillain

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
Are you going into your computer and ejecting the SD card, or just pulling it out whenever? This can make a big difference even with things like USB sticks, you have to make sure your computer is ejecting it, otherwise before removing it, turn off your computer. This is probably what is causing the problem.

aor999

Honorable
Jun 28, 2017
I'm using the Safely Remove Hardware feature of Windows 7, before disconnecting the card reader with its SD card, than ejecting the SD card and returning it to the camera. This is a relatively new problem. Before the problem first appeared, I just ejected the card reader without using this feature first. This problem continued even when I began to use this feature.

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I am a photographer and there are several times I have had the issue you are having.

Usually it is caused after you change something on the SD card while in Windows.

Try to take pictures on another card and copy the files to Windows. Then see if it gives you the same error.

Otherwise try some options below.

Here is what I do...

1- Make sure to eject card from PC via the notification bar in Windows. (Sounds like you already do this)

2- Try another memory card in your camera and turn camera on. Then turn back off and replace new card with problematic card and turn back on.

3- Try to use another SD card reader.

4- SD cards a very fragile and it very well could be that the card chip is faulty.

Solution