My Sony HDR PJ820 randomly won't turn on

JeehoonOh

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
So I have been taking very good care of this camcorder for the past couple of years now. I have never once dropped it, or even hit it hard for that matter.

However today I decided to take my camcorder out of his safely compact bag, but it would not turn on. Thinking the battery was out of juice, I charged it for 30 minutes. But it still would not turn on. I tried connecting it to my PC but it wouldn't even recognize it. I honestly have zero idea what happened to it and if anyone knows how to fix this I would be greatfully thankful.

The worst part is I am no longer in the same country I bought this camcorder from (Bought it in Korea, right now residing in Australia), so I can't even take it back for repair or warranty. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Was the battery attached to the camcorder while in storage? If yes, how long has it been since you last charged the battery or used the camcorder? Leaving the battery attached while in storage and not using the camcorder for a long period of time can kill the battery. Well, at least that's my experience with one of my Sony camcorders. Regardless of whether the battery was attached or not I would try giving the battery a full charge and then try turning it on again. If that fails then you could have a dead battery.
Was the battery attached to the camcorder while in storage? If yes, how long has it been since you last charged the battery or used the camcorder? Leaving the battery attached while in storage and not using the camcorder for a long period of time can kill the battery. Well, at least that's my experience with one of my Sony camcorders. Regardless of whether the battery was attached or not I would try giving the battery a full charge and then try turning it on again. If that fails then you could have a dead battery.

Solution

JeehoonOh

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014

Hey sorry for the late reply! Yeah I had ended up charging the camcorder for an extra hour, and it finally turned on! It was bit weird since the camcorder only requires half an hour to fully charge, and especially since I haven't used it for a while so there wasn't a real reason for it to lose all it's battery juice so quickly.

Your battery tip has been really helpful and I will definitely keep that in mind in order to ensure the battery life last longer. Super glad it wasn't a dead battery.