Need to relocate video surveillance monitor 100 feet away from DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMTelecom

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hey, guys!

This is my first post with Tom's, however I have read and been helped by quite a bit of content from this site. Thanks everyone for the great community. I have a good knowledge of data + telecom systems and wiring and I hope that I can give some valuable input to Tom's. However, I do not have a whole lot of experience with video.

Anyway, in my office we currently have a video surveillance DVR with a monitor attached via HDMI. The DVR has wired cameras throughout the office. We are going to be relocating the person in this office about 100 feet away, and we need to move the monitor into his new office. We can not simply move the DVR to the new location, because that would require that all of the cameras have new wire runs to the new office, which is not an option.

Anyone have an good solution for this problem? I have looked into long HDMI cables with a signal booster about halfway through, but don't have any other ideas. Is there a device that would make this easier? Like video transmission over LAN modules? Wireless video transmission modules? Video over Wifi?

Thanks a lot for any input / ideas.

servergal

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

http://www.zuummedia.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HE1BIR
Attach one to the DVR end, run CAT5 to the new monitor location, attach the second one at the new monitor location.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Depending on your DVR, it's possible it is capable of remote access via a web browser interface (this can be done simply through the office network, the system does not have to have internet access). This would also be beneficial in the sense that the person viewing the display would actually have the ability to control it rather then just looking at a screen with a matrix and no control whatsoever. I don't know how many cameras you have matrixed onto the display and how large it is but the ability to grab a single camera and maximize it to full screen or go 3x3 or 6x6 matrix etc. is a nice option to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.