Point and shoot with DSLR performance

laijosh

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I have been looking at the T4i for a while but I see samples of photos and videos and I'm not impressed and have seen point and shoots with almost near the same quality but much cheaper. My need is a point and shoot with great photo quality (ideal for family photos, landscapes, and low light conditions) but also great HD video (preferably 1080p). My budget is $450.

Solution

I agree with cin19, DSLR's provide more flexibility when it comes to exploring the art of photography. I'm curious why you did not like the image quality of t4i. Remember that the image quality of a dslr depends a lot on the lens used rather than the camera body.

As you will be taking family photos and landscapes a P&S with medium zoom would do it. For low light...

cin19

Distinguished
If you use the camera for a casual shooter of snapshots, you’ll probably want a point and shoot. If you’re seriously interested in photography, you’ll want a DSLR.

For the price range, you will get the very good a point and shoot camera.

I will recommend to buy canon or Nikon brands for example Nikon Coolpix P510 http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Location/dp/B0073HSH8U%3FSubscriptionId%3D14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2%26tag%3Ddpreviewbuybox-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0073HSH8U

killerb

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

I agree with cin19, DSLR's provide more flexibility when it comes to exploring the art of photography. I'm curious why you did not like the image quality of t4i. Remember that the image quality of a dslr depends a lot on the lens used rather than the camera body.

As you will be taking family photos and landscapes a P&S with medium zoom would do it. For low light performance P&S cameras with BSI-CMOS sensors would do it - they are far more sensitive to light and creates less image noise. So would recommend these camera's for you all of them have BSI-CMOS and 1080p video.

Kodak z990 - good low light performace(bsi-cmos, large f2.8 apeture for low light landscapes). cheap (187$),
Kodak EasyShare Z990 12 MP Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom, HD Video Capture and 3.0-Inch LCD

Canon SX40HS - great low light performace (bsi-cmos, larger aperture than z990), more wider coverage for landscapes (24mm), (399$) - I own this :)
Canon SX40 HS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch Vari-Angle Wide LCD

Pentax X-5 - much more wider coverage than both of the above(22mm), cheap(250$)
Pentax X-5 Digital Camera with 26x Optical Zoom and 3" LCD (Black)

Canon sx50Hs - wide coverage same as sx40, great image quality, fast auto focus and biggest zoom ever!
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 50x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Also I would suggest to check Mirrorless cameras they have similar sized sensor to dslr's and perform far better than point and shoots.

sony NEX-5N
Sony NEX-5N 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Touchscreen Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black)

Oly Pen series cameras
Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Black)

Hope this helps.

Solution