Recording one channel and watching another with DirectTv

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Is this possible? All I've seen are instructions for doing this with or
without a cable box?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is this possible? All I've seen are instructions for doing this with or
>without a cable box?

If you have a DirecTiVo, then yes: Just hit the down arrow to switch
tuners while watching live TV.

If you have a standalone TiVo hooked up to a DirecTV receiver, then
no. You need two DirecTV receivers to accomplish this.

--
<script language="JavaScript">// Scott Seligman
for(var i=0;i<73;i++)document.write(String.fromCharCode(("lsYrsiwb7pir~~|=~fr"+
"~}Rvvrxv~Q}gx~}lz~wmwiqz|sq~tuBpNpzyvp@Lu[").charCodeAt(i)-("P2Y*!$1E5#()2*-"+
"#+##*)E!#-*1*1*$)*)+,:*$4!,.0.c0/!@R)cM8-$$=4=").charCodeAt(i)+32));</script>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Scott Seligman wrote:
> "Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is this possible? All I've seen are instructions for doing this with or
>>without a cable box?
>
>
> If you have a DirecTiVo, then yes: Just hit the down arrow to switch
> tuners while watching live TV.
>
> If you have a standalone TiVo hooked up to a DirecTV receiver, then
> no. You need two DirecTV receivers to accomplish this.
>

Actually, the OP specifically mentioned cable, not Directv.

You can record a channel and watch a different one by splitting your
cable before the Tivo and feeding one of them to your TV. Then simply
switch your TV input source to watch a different channel.

This will work fine for unscrambled or non-digital cable channels (i.e.
channels that you can watch *without* the cable box). For channels that
require a cable box, you would need to have 2 cable boxes, one feeding
directly to the tv, one feeding into the Tivo.

Randy S.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> done wrote:

> Actually, the OP specifically mentioned cable, not Directv.

Yeah, that's probably why he chose the subject:
"Recording one channel and watching another with DirectTv".

--
Stein

.... and the answer is 'none'. None more black.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Stein Hals wrote:
> "Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> done wrote:
>
>
>>Actually, the OP specifically mentioned cable, not Directv.
>
>
> Yeah, that's probably why he chose the subject:
> "Recording one channel and watching another with DirectTv".
>

True, I didn't doublecheck the subject against the body of the message,
which was contradictory. At least, between the two of us, all the bases
are covered.

Randy S.
 

seth

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
348
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:cuj916$r0a$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> Scott Seligman wrote:
>> "Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Is this possible? All I've seen are instructions for doing this with or
>>>without a cable box?
>>
>> If you have a DirecTiVo, then yes: Just hit the down arrow to switch
>> tuners while watching live TV.
>>
>> If you have a standalone TiVo hooked up to a DirecTV receiver, then
>> no. You need two DirecTV receivers to accomplish this.
>
> Actually, the OP specifically mentioned cable, not Directv.

Actually, we're not really sure as the OP specifically said DirecTV in the
subject line. He/she may be confused. If I had to guess, I'd say they were
referring to a DirecTV IRD when they *said* cable box in the body of the
message. If so, they may have a standalone TiVo attached to a regular
DirecTV IRD.

> You can record a channel and watch a different one by splitting your cable
> before the Tivo and feeding one of them to your TV. Then simply switch
> your TV input source to watch a different channel.
>
> This will work fine for unscrambled or non-digital cable channels (i.e.
> channels that you can watch *without* the cable box). For channels that
> require a cable box, you would need to have 2 cable boxes, one feeding
> directly to the tv, one feeding into the Tivo.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Pancho Claus wrote:
> Is this possible? All I've seen are instructions for doing this with or
> without a cable box?

If you have a DirecTV+TiVo combo box, just press the Live TV button
to toggle between Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. You can change the channel
on whichever tuner is not recording.

If you have a single separate DirecTV receiver connected to a standalone
TiVo, it is simply not possible.

However, if you have two DirecTV receivers then you can do it; feed the
output of one receiver into your TiVo and the other directly to the TV.
[The DirecTV receiver that you use for recording must have its
infrared eye shielded so that it won't change channels when you use
your IR remote while watching live TV.]

So, what kind of TiVo do you have? It is a DirecTiVo combo box or
a standalone TiVo? (The latter is sometimes called a universal input
unit; it can be fed by a rooftop antenna, by cable TV, by an external
DirecTV or Dish receiver, or even a big-dish satellite receiver.)

-Joe
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 3
C Streaming Video & TVs 3
Jovance Todorov Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 5
Z Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 9
R Streaming Video & TVs 8
O Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
F Streaming Video & TVs 3
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 15
G Streaming Video & TVs 6
G Streaming Video & TVs 6

ASK THE COMMUNITY