Samsung tv does not relay dolby digital 5.1 sound from HDMI input to my LG soundbar.

Jhlynch

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I understand my Samsung LED UN465500 does not relay dolby digital 5.1 sound from HDMI input to my LG soundbar. I currently have a media box connected via HDMI to the tv. If I use a premium link with DD 5.1 sound I receive video but no sound. It seems ridiculous to purchase a soundbar and subscribe to online streaming services to only find your tv won't allow you to enjoy in home theater setup. There must be a converter or some workaround other than shopping for a new tv.

Solution
Check the TV audio menu. It may allow you to change the audio output type to bitstream
but unless your soundbar has separate rear speakers you won't get surround sound. It may not accept a DD signal for that reason. Some soundbars don't even have a center channel.
As far as i can see, your tv does not have ARC (audio return channel) Which allows audio to be sent via HDMI. Hence the reason for no sound. You can however connect it via the Digital Optical output of the TV to the sound bar. Also it is worth mentioning, that your sound bar will not play all of the 5.1 encoded sound, as the sound bar probably does not have 5 speakers built into it.

Hope this helps,
K.

Jhlynch

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Jhlynch

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I aporeciate your reply. I am aware I don't hzve the arc output on my tv. It is hooked up via the optical ouput. My problem is I get absolutely no sound when I play links with DD 5.1 as it is not being relayed to my soundbar in any format. My question is, is there some type of convertor or how can I hook the media box directly to my soundbar and then to the tv? Just looking for how I can get sound on these high definition high sound links.