im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hello,
I've been starting to learn HTML and CSS, but my teacher said it would be better to learn Java.
So I was wondering if anyone had any tips or a link to a tutorial for starters.

Thanks Heaps,
Caius

Solution
I believe that the teacher was telling him to start with Java because it's one of the more rigorous languages (in respect to introductory languages). I myself initially started with learning Java in high school and after leaning it, other languages such as C++ (which is the mainstream language in college) became a walk in the park.

Java throws you straight into critical, complex ideals such as classes and objects (since it is very OOP oriented), resulting in over preparing you for related topics such as inheritance and other friend functions.

O'Reilly has very good books out (I've learned C++, HTML, Java and Javascript from their books) and they do a very good job in explaining things. Also, Lynda has a lot of tutorial videos that...

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
HTML and CSS are mostly for web pages, Java is a programming language, huge difference. What are you trying to do or to learn?

Moreover, you do know that Java and JavaScript are 2 totally different thing and have no link together right?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I believe that the teacher was telling him to start with Java because it's one of the more rigorous languages (in respect to introductory languages). I myself initially started with learning Java in high school and after leaning it, other languages such as C++ (which is the mainstream language in college) became a walk in the park.

Java throws you straight into critical, complex ideals such as classes and objects (since it is very OOP oriented), resulting in over preparing you for related topics such as inheritance and other friend functions.

O'Reilly has very good books out (I've learned C++, HTML, Java and Javascript from their books) and they do a very good job in explaining things. Also, Lynda has a lot of tutorial videos that are sometimes free and are really good.

@ Zenthar

Java and Javascript really aren't as different as you're making them to be. They both are OOP languages and use classes to form their commands. The main difference is that Java is stand alone and must be compiled each time it executes the program, whereas JS is just text, is embedded within HTML and can be rerun over and over; it's also dependent upon HTML. Javascript is simpler.

There are also a lot of other differences, but the two aren't as foreign as you're portraying.

Solution

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I meant is that they shared no common technical base, something people tend to think because of the name similarity. Based on your description, C++ and possibly Perl would also be similar (in a way they are yes, but still).

Ijack

Distinguished
Caius - I guess it depends upon what you are trying to achieve. If it's just writing web sites that's one thing, but if it's computer programming then you must understand that HTML and CSS are not computer programming languages; basically they are what are called mark-up languages and have the sole purpose of specifying how text and other data are displayed on a screen. A computer program is a very different thing which may involve no output whatsoever (although most programs do display some sort of data).

If it is computer programming that you are interested in, rather than producing web sites, then your teacher is correct (although I might take issue with his particular choice of language). You need to investigate something like Java (good because it exist on many platforms) or if it is just Windows programming then C# is a very good choice (slightly easier to learn - IMO - and a very fine modern programming language). And the great thing is that both of these languages can also be used to produce dynamic web pages.

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Alright, i've just checked this again, and i was just saying i knew css and html to say thats about all the knowledge i have.
never even looked at java before..
so thanks for everyones answers :)

sweety_91

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

may i get help for learning JAVA

TRENDING THREADS