Toshiba Satellite Windows Vista - No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key Message

BuryGirl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
I have a Toshiba Satellite L350 - OLG System Unit Model PSLD8C-OLGO1U. In preparation for donating my computer, the hard disk has been wiped clean of data using DBAN. I am now trying to re-install Microsoft Windows (Vista) & original factory defaults from the Toshiba recovery DVD's provided at purchase. I have changed the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD first. In BIOS Advanced, CSM is enabled (other choice is to disable), and LAN related options are disabled. I do not have any USB inserted in the computer and only one CD/DVD reader. I have inserted the recovery DVD (#1 of 2) in the CD/DVD reader and then started the computer and I received this message: “No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key”. When I press a key, the same message repeats. The CD/DVD reader worked fine before cleaning the HD and does boot the DBAN CD. I have no reason to believe that the recovery DVD has been scratched.
Please advise what steps I need to take to boot from the recovery DVD’s. Thanks

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First do make sure that the HDD is listed in BIOS.
- Next is if you're using an external CD/DVD drive, try a different USB port in your laptop then run the Recovery disc again.
- But if you're using the internal CD/DVD drive make sure that it's set as the first boot device in BIOS.
- If it will still not work do try bootable CD with windows.

Here's how to create a bootable Windows 10 USB or disc:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2745957/create-windows-installation-usb-drive-dvd.html

- If Windows 10 will install in your laptop that means that Recovery disc is damaged already.
- But if the same problem will persist when installing Windows 10, you'll need to try creating a bootable Windows using a USB drive.