Unfixable Flash Player problem

Milton Huynh

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
This happens about 20 minutes after I start up my computer. Facebook freezes and displays "A plugin (shockwave flash) isn't responding. YouTube page loads but video can't play even though the video plays. Other websites that use flash cease to work also. The same is for all three browsers (chrome, firefox, internet edge)

The weird thing is, if I restart my computer, it will all be fine again, and then flash player breaks again after 20-30 minutes. Even Spotify stops working, the song won't play and I can't change the song. Websites that use flash and spotify work for 20-30 minutes and then they encounter problems after that, causing me to restart my computer again.

This started to happen after I downloaded Windows 10.

I have tried:
- Installing new display driver
- Installing new sound driver
- Clear flash cache
- Reinstalling flash player v18
- Ran a full malwarebytes scan

Since spotify also stops working at the same as my browser's flash player stops working on all three browsers, I know the problem comes from my computer not the browsers. I regret downloading windows 10, it has caused my so much inconvenience. I have no idea what to do, please help me.

update: Steam (valve) won't open, spotify opens but won't play songs. what's going on?

update: I believe flash is not the problem but something on my computer is causing flash to crash

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
cant help you there I guess you Guiney pigging all that for some time - don't anybody check all the compatibility out before installing something new and really not ready ?? just knowing what I read on 10 is its something I would never use to start with and sure as heck aint going to ruin a solid working os like 7 by upgrading to it - cause with 7 I got choice and its all still working fine and dandy -- enjoy them forced updates when they install something that may brick ya... with 7 I can decline it all and still run it fully ??

Milton Huynh

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Bump: please help me I am suffering, I cannot watch youtube videos, I cannot play steam games, I cannot listen to spotify, facebook crashes in 10 seconds, cannot watch videos on the web, cannot open popcorn time

Leon_Elefth

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015
I have the exact same problem. At first I used Malwarebytes AntiMalware tool to clear my computer which seemed to work for about 2-3 weeks and then the problem appeared again. This time restarting the computer won't do anything and the problem remains. One thing I noticed was that the anti-malware deleted AdBlock but I don't think that has anything to do with it =/ If you fix the problem without switching back to Windows 7/8 could you e-mail me the solution ?? thanks =D

stayoutdeorchard

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
I had the same problem with Chrome and Edge. To start with turning off and on again worked, but eventually that stopped working. I switched to firefox, which didn't come with Flash pre-installed and that worked, but when I installed Flash to get videos on sites like BBC iPlayer the browser suffered the same predictable fate.

I've read a lot of posts about this and everyone describes the problem slightly differently, but the basic issue is Adobe Flash getting into an argument with Win10 and causing stuff to crash.

The only solution I have found in to un-install Adobe Flash. Clearly that's not a solution, just a way of dodging the issue, but it doesn't look like the good people at Windows or Adobe are working on a fix, so its the best I've got.

EscapeTrajectory

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
Bump.

Since my pc auto-updated to the new big win 10 upgrade earlier this week, I've had this problem too.

It affects netflix (silverlight), flash, vlc, mpc, spotify, gifs, html5 video. I haven't tested any more, but i suspect that the update has destroyed some critical media codec/library.

Restarting still works, but I have to cut power after the hard drives turn off (I can hear them power down) but the machine stays on.

Any fix is greatly appreciated, I really don't have time to reinstall.

andreasfmwolf

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Just had the same symptoms and found in the Windows Update history, that Windows installed a Flash Player security update for Internet Explorer/Edge. I rolled this update back (-->"Programs&Features", on the upper left: --> "View installed updates" --> "Windows Security Update").

Hope that helps!

lexievv

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
I have the exact same problem, it started about a week ago. I also used anti malware bites and this fixed it for literally 1-2 days and it started again. I need this pc for my work and can't do it like this. Neither can i relax and watch videos or movies or whatever, my browsers have become slow as sh*t because of it too. I am at the point of smashing my screen, hope there is some kind of solution soon

lexievv

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
I have the exact same problem, it started about a week ago. I also used anti malware bites and this fixed it for literally 1-2 days and it started again. I need this pc for my work and can't do it like this. Neither can i relax and watch videos or movies or whatever, my browsers have become slow as sh*t because of it too. I am at the point of smashing my screen, hope there is some kind of solution soon.

Randomtandem

Estimable
Jan 23, 2016
Hi all
I had this same issue and at least for my situation have found a solution, even if it baffles me.

Firstly, my issues seem to have been triggered by the latest automatic upgrade to win10 not my original manual upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I actually left my PC booting and got talking in the building cafe, only to return to the dreaded "Do Not turn off screen". The upgrade took 2-3 hours. After a few days I then started getting the same issues as Milton. As with most of us I depend on web access for my work so this was a real issue. I've lost track of the descend into web chaos but it after more days it had affected all browsers (Edge too), slowed the machine, the Slack desktop app froze etc. Everything I did seemed to make no impact or make it worse.

Then I noticed i had also lost the right click Start 'context' menu. So issue felt more OS than Flash/browser. Reading threads on this someone suggested deleting files that were in my user directory. Weirdness of weirdness I could not see my user directory - I could see others (eg my son's) but not my business one (I have an old personal user on same laptop). So I simply reminded myself how you view hidden folders and unhid it. It takes ages to process and then I rebooted. Dropbox went into a spin and needed to reindex everything (no idea why) but immediately browsers were fine. And after dropbox finished I rebooted and so far no issues at all.

So it seems to me that a poor Win10 auto upgrade made my user folder hidden but why that causes these issues I have no idea.

If this is remotely useful to anyone what I have to add that in all transparency I actually (stupidly) hid all the user folders, then realised my mistake and unhid them all. But don't tell anyone :) And I have *not* got the standard Flash plugin installed, just the inbuilt chrome one.

Good luck you all. And to think i was seriously contemplating buying a new laptop just to get productive!!

Simon

HenkKelder

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Using ProcessMonitor I found that Internet explorer and Edge try to read a value from the registry, but this is denied due to insufficient rights to the following key:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-shockwave-flash"

I fixed it by changing the permissions on "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\ Content Type" and granting read permission to all "application packages" (Not sure if that is the actual name since I have a dutch system).

So here's what you need to do:

Start Regedit
Navigate to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database'ContentType"
Open the context menu by pressing the right mouse button
Select 'Permissions'
In the top selection list select 'all application packages'
Make sure a only checkmark is set to allow read
Press the advanced button
Check the "replace all child objects.... " (at the bottom of the dialog)
Press OK or Apply

*WARNING* Changing the registry could damage your windows installation. If you are uncertain on how to change this setting ask someone who does.
Making a backup first is always wise!

raindog_ca

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Thank you!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

dawesi

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
To all the ingnorant people who are 'uninstalling flash'... don't use chrome or opera, or edge browser... they contain flash - you don't have a choice.

grow up and stop reading propaganda...

"the first thing i do is uninstall flash" - #dumbestcommentever in 20 years of IT support