artistjane

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I have a Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-S580 that works great, plays disks, streams Netflix, plays movies on USB flash drives. Bought a 1TB WD My Passport, wiped it, formatted it to FAT32 GPT, put some MP4s on it. Plugged it into the player's USB drive, get error message "USB device (front) unknown, LUN 1." Repeated the process, formatted it NTFS this time, still not recognized. Tried again, formatted it back to FAT32, no errors on laptop, blu-ray says it is still "unknown." A friend suggested it might just be a bad cord, but it's worked well enough plugged into my laptop. I was also told that all this was easy as pie... Please advise, has anyone out there made this work? How to do it? Thanks!

Solution
Problem solved, formatted WD My Passport to NTFS, MBR. Works with Sony Blu-Ray Player BDP S580, and possibly similar models. Thanks to the Minitool Partition Wizard support team for great advice! :D
How old is this Passport drive? Is it one of the newer slim ones? Or an old thicker (taller) one? The thicker ones had more platters and were heavier, so needed more power to operate. Some USB ports do not provide sufficient power to spin them up. Usually this will show up as a flickering power light when plugged in. And if you hold it in your hand when you plug it in, you can feel the platters start to spin, then stop, start to spin, stop, repeat. You can overcome this problem with one of those Y-USB cables (the extra plug pulls power from a second USB port, so the drive is powered by two ports). But that might not be feasible if your player only has a single USB port.

Is there a way to format the drive from the Blu-ray player? Sometimes they're finicky about formatting, and having them format the drive is usually the easiest way to make it work.

artistjane

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

This is an brand new WD My Passport 1TB, a 3" x 4" plastic box with a USB3.0 to Micro-B cord.
I've been searching for the solution, and found conflicting advice about formatting - FAT32, or NTFS? GBT or MBR partitions? My husband's young nephew does this all the time, and told me how easy it is... but is too busy to advise :na:.

artistjane

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Problem solved, formatted WD My Passport to NTFS, MBR. Works with Sony Blu-Ray Player BDP S580, and possibly similar models. Thanks to the Minitool Partition Wizard support team for great advice! :D

Solution
Dec 11, 2018
Artistjane thank you very much my Sony Bravia TV formatted my USB to GPT to set it up as a recording device then my Sony Bluray BDV N 9200 would no longer recognize the USB (now that I have formatred to MBR partition it does) - thanks to you, your nephew and Partition Wizard all is good again :))