When I hook my computer to my HDTV via HDMI, I get wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbib321

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
When I hookup my computer to my HDTV via HDMI cable, all I get is the wallpaper from my computer, on the tv screen and nothing else. So the cable is working but I can't get any other info. No icons or cursor etc. Any suggestions? Thanks. :whistle:

If your computer is still connected to another monitor when you also connect the HDTV, it's possible the two displays are set up in extended mode; where the HDTV is just an extension of your monitors desktop. If you moved your mouse further to the right from your main display, it would appear on the HDTV.

A couple of options here:

1) Change the display mode from extended to clone. This means whatever displays on the primary display also appears on the secondary display. However, I think full screen movies/games only appear on the primary display and the secondary display blanks out.

2) Swap displays. The displays remain in extended mode, but the HDTV now becomes the primary display (has all the icons) and the main monitor becomes the secondary display (only shows the background).

Where you make these changes depends on what graphic solution you have. For AMD Radeon, use Catalyst Control Center. For NVidia Geforce, use NVidia Control Panel. For Intel integrated graphics, use Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization --> Display (I think).

-Wolf sends

Ashley Fuhrman

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Thank you SO much "Wolf"! I was having the same problem and spent 2 hours on the phone with Samsung and an hour on the phone with dell and I hung up on the idiots at best buy after 20 mins! I would have been returning my tv if not finding this forum!! I was streaming fine on the two other tvs in my house. not sure why I had to change the display settings on my computer for the new TV BUT IT WORKED! I have Windows and it was not exactly by your directions but your directions got me there!! after clicking around a few times I figured it out. In was Control Panel ---> Appearance Personalization-----> Display ---> Change Display Setting -----> Connect to a projector (in blue letters at bottom) ------> Duplicate! THANKS SO FRICKIN MUCH!

ramon219

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Dude, Wolf you are the best! I'm sitting here about to watch a movie I just bought on iTunes and the exact same thing happened to me; I didn't even know how to phrase the question in Google, but I found you and your knowledge saved my evening!!! Thanks Wolf!

Bob_105

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

For Windows 10:
- Press Windows Key + P
- Select "Duplicate" from the Project menu

You responded to a 3 1/2 year old post.

Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.