fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
Hi,
I have a Eurocom M3 (aka clevo w230st) with i7-4700mq, 12gb ram, 1x 128gb msata ssd, 1x 7200rpm 500gb hdd, 1080p 13.3" screen, GTX 765m. Looking up numerous reviews for other laptops, I realized that my laptop's battery life is horrible compared to similar spec laptops like the Razer Blade 2013 or the lenovo y50. I was thinking that it was the cpu, but they all have i7-4700mq (or 4702).
Batterybar tells me that my battery is at 12% wear, with current capacity of ~54,700 mwh (from original 64mw battery), so it currently holds more than a brand new y50. I get below 2 hr 15 mins of battery life at lowest brightness, on power saver running chrome with 8 tabs. I'm even lowering the dynamic voltage offset in intel XTU. However, the reviews of other laptops say that they get over 4 or 5 hours of battery life on simple wifi web browsing use.
Usually I don't need much power (for working), just battery life, so how can I extend battery life? Why does my laptop in particular last so short?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It's usually a fairly vast combination of factors. For instance, a laptop design that generates more heat means fans need to spin faster to accomodate it, so more power is used.

Additionally, user settings often play a role - max brightness, wifi etc. Manufacturers will often include power optimizing software as well, for instance gateway cuts power to unused optical drives to prevent them from draining battery.

Realistically, it's a whole zoo of factors, so it's kind of hard to give you anything definite.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
It's usually a fairly vast combination of factors. For instance, a laptop design that generates more heat means fans need to spin faster to accomodate it, so more power is used.

Additionally, user settings often play a role - max brightness, wifi etc. Manufacturers will often include power optimizing software as well, for instance gateway cuts power to unused optical drives to prevent them from draining battery.

Realistically, it's a whole zoo of factors, so it's kind of hard to give you anything definite.

Solution

That's the long and short of it. Every component that draws power plays a part in the power consumption, and sometimes people forget about things like fans or the screen. There's variation in those (and more) as far as power draw, as well as the CPU, GPU, etc. It boils down to overall design of the laptop and the type of battery used, but because that encompasses so much, "why" is kind of convoluted.

TRENDING THREADS