WPS Office expansion tool problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
How to disable WPS Office expansion tool
which keeps popping up to update my word processing program?

This keeps popping up while I am in the middle of something else (usually a game raid) and totally stops everything until I can click NO.

I never had this problem with the older WPS versions but when I upgraded to Win10 I had to download a new copy to use and it started then.

Most annoying. I've already disabled it in services, but it still continues to happen anyway. So there must be a hidden file somewhere I can't find.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: I only use the word processing to write letters or essays and the spreadsheet for keeping track of my small lists of things. So I do not need a full blown suite, but can't seem to find only these two pieces by themselves. I don't want to purchase MS Word's suite...can't see the value if I don't use it all.

Solution

did it work?

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I did disable it...it still popped up even though I restarted my machine and checked that it was still disabled. So now what? This is weird.

Dirk__

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015

I just started having this problem a couple of days ago. It pops up when I'm in the middle of everything else. Since I don't know what it is or why it's coming up, I always click "no." I've had Kingsoft for several years and never had this happen before. I have Windows 8, and when I went to Task Manager, I didn't see anything associated with any of Kingsoft's programs in Startup. I would really like to know how to stop this.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I have uninstalled this software until a fix can be found for this annoying issue. I have submitted a report to Kingsoft customer service to find out why and how to fix it.

I have Windows 10 and even with all the advance options to be able to control things, this still happened. The sad part is I like the program but it started popping up more often after the first couple of "No" clicks to the point it seemed to get stuck in a popup cycle and would not stop.

DerAlbrecht

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

did it work?

Solution

Kieth_

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Bought this new computer and it was doing the same thing with the pop up. As I am a google chrome user, I searched through all the folders in the Program Files X86, you will find the Kingsoft folder. the last subfolder contains both of these files. I did not try to eliminate them, but they are in fact there. I went one step further and located the uninstall file. that should take care of it forever.

JohnnyRey

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

I have recently had this issue, and yes, for me this is what has worked, after having done what you suggested 2 days ago, I've not seen the annoying pop-up again! Thank you.

craig major

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

Can you expand that answer please? We too have Windows 10
.( I use a Mac mostly so am still finding my way around Windows)
With thanks,
Stephanie

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

You can google search the phrase: "how to disable WPS Office Expansion Tool" and the links that pop up are varied, but the one that might help you the most is here: http://www.freefixer.com/library/file/wpsupdate.exe-108565/

It has this information in it:

Folder name variants
wpsupdate.exe may also be located in other folders than C:\Program Files\Kingsoft\Kingsoft Office\wtoolex\. The most common variants are listed below:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kingsoft\Kingsoft Office\wtoolex\

Barla

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
Try this, it worked for me:
Open the WPS Office Configuration Tool that you find in the start menu and select Advanced settings. Go to the Update Settings panel and select the update mode "Do not update automatically".
Done. ;)
Giacomo

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Wow...this is still getting replies? I fixed the problem once I got some of this feedback and managed to keep it fixed. I no longer have this issue.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and tips to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.