Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games; Wii U Better Than X360

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
and in unrelated News:

Detroit:

Ford Motor Company announced that beginning December 12th of this year they implemented a 5 tank refill limit on used Ford Motorcars.
After the 5th Tank has been used up the Engine Management System (EMS) will prevent further startup of the engine unless a new Key code is entered into the Engine Management Computer (EMC) via the Dashboard GPS system.

Keycodes are as follows:

4 Cylinder $499.00
6 Cylinders $799.00
8 Cylinders $ 999.00

There will be a $100 per year surcharge for each model year prior to 2005.

GM has announced they are investigating their options to re-certify their certified used cars while Chrysler has made it clear thru their Partner FIAT that such a scheme was totally unacceptable. They are planing to offer memberships to their Certified Car Club (CCC) at a flat rate of $248.85/year.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Theyre trying to block 2nd hand games because a few games used to be sold on long after release; now so many are being sold just a couple of weeks after release that its cannibalising the sales of new copies.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]It just boggles my mind seeing how xbox 360 being 6 times slower (on GPU processing) than AMD 6670 1GB DDR5 can have so much punch. Time for PC game coders to wake up, anyone? What good is GTX 780 and AMD 7970 if the games are resource hogs?[/citation]It's bullshit. The 6670 is as fast as the current console gen, it's just add in DX11.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]It just boggles my mind seeing how xbox 360 being 6 times slower (on GPU processing) than AMD 6670 1GB DDR5 can have so much punch. Time for PC game coders to wake up, anyone? What good is GTX 780 and AMD 7970 if the games are resource hogs?[/citation]

I'm not convinced they're using a 6670. That'd be plain stupid. I'm quite sure they'll use at the very, very least a 6850, but if they're looking for bang for buck + longevity, a 6950 2gb.

They'll most likely use a hd 6000 due to prices. 7000 series has a quite higher value.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Lets settle down this was someunamed source, for all we know this unamed soruce could be working for Nintendo to scarwe people into thinking such claim so that people will run out and buy the Wii U instead. So lets not jump to conclusions until the actual facts Microsoft makes an offical statement on behalf of this. I highly doubt this is the case, it would cause a huge uproar where people will go to other consoles or stick with the Xbox 360 and not buy the Loop/720. I'm sure once there is more light shed on this subject it prob has to do with uping the security messures that will help greaty in preventing pirated copies from running on the Loop/720.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
No way it's as fast given the form factor. It's definitely underclocked and cut down version at best. But in either case, what is wrong with PC coders (besides their temptation to release the game purely to get profit)? Can't they get anything right? We already know current (even i3) CPU is not a problem for most games and GTX550 or HD6770 are way superior to console. How come such a gap in performance? And hey, isn't it time to get decent AI and some life into Single Player? Current games just suck, AI is stupid, predictable and clumsy.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]wow. time to switch to PC gaming full time. why shell out 60$+ for a pile of crap? Madden 12 is a prime example.[/citation]

to a casual observer, madden is the same game over and over, but its a cycle, 1 year is the inovation, next is the refinement and roster tweak, next is the inovation again... madden is far more complex that it seams, and only the people who are far into it can see that.

at least that what i hear from many places, and people who review it.

[citation][nom]AIstudio[/nom]Personally I think that this sort of approach is a BIG mistake. If I buy something, use it, and then decide to sell it that should be my prerogative.So what if all manufacturers of everything took this approach?? That would mean NO second hand cars, TV's or anything else.I think the governing bodies should step in on this and let them know that this is an unfair business practice and prevent it from happening!![/citation]

you see this thing called steam... yea... people have accepted no trade games for a long time, and they will do it again on the new console. its kind of sad but i can see something good coming from it, ill explain below.

[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]I highly doubt the source for this is accurate. Whilst some developers ARE making a push to prevent/cripple the sale of used games I highly doubt that Microsoft would make such a decision. It simply seems far to irrational, as well as resource intensive to develop a system to basically damage the sale of their own systems.In my opinion Microsoft should develop better piracy prevention mechanisms. This would be a win-win for both sides. Those who buy used games (open box included) wouldn't have any problems and Microsoft would gain some more profit from a cut of the game sales.[/citation]

um... every game sold gives microsoft 8-12$
if microsoft sells the console at a loss, do you really think they give a crap about used sales and people not buying the system because it cant play a used game?
do you think devs are going to abandon microsoft because they done have used sales... lets say a game sells 4 million units, and over time sells another million because of used games. these devs are screwing the used market as it is trying to get more money from them, whay would they abandon ms because of it
and if there is a system to lock out used copies, it will most likely also lock out pirate copies too, and it will be advertised as unpirateable, not unused able.

realistically, is ms does it, and the wiiu cant handle a 720 game (nda is still up, and marketing bs on ms part os going on) than the next playstation will do it to, because they lose money on used sales too. and once it becomes standard... well nintendo had to be sued to allow video games to be rented, you don't think they wouldn't jump on it?

the pc lost this battle probably over a decade ago with used copies, (when online accounts stated to be with a serial code) and if you do buy it legitimate second hand, you are considered a pirate for doing so. what makes you think the console wont do it too.

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I don't get why they make such a big deal out of used game sales.Gaming consoles have been around since the 1970s and people have traded used games ever since.I think they're just blaming bad sales on used games, rather than facing the fact, that people don't want to spend 50-60bucks on shit games and stale sequels.The market is simply over saturated with generic sequels and *insertpopularserieshere*-clones.[/citation]

back than, games cost under 1million to make, and large games costed still under 1 million, their break even was FAR lower than it is now.

now a normal big game costs 50 million. with a break even of 2-4 million sales. back in the day you had a much lower break even and used didnt matter to much because everyone made a proffit day 1 with the systems (dont quore me on everyone, i believe Nintendo defiantly did)

now companies are willing to take a loss to push a format (sony, bluray) or a console (xbox, xbox 360), and they recup costs through game sales.

-------------------------------

now how could this be good...

what if 360 games were free, or under 5$ to buy the box, the disc, and all the non special edition content? and you could rent the game for 2$ a day like a red box, but you own the discs? you will rent the game for 2$ a day till you spend 60$ on the game total so in the end, 65$ a game (does live and such charge tax?) and is probably cheaper than buying a video game now, with more money going to devs.

it gets the used market and kills it, it gets the retail market to take a lower cut, and it gets the rental market all at once.

and even better, if they set up a gamestop like online system, where you can sell your purchased games, like you sell it for what ever you want, and ms takes a 20% of what you sell it for, you sell it for 10$, they get 2$ you get 8$ and they instantly kill the desire to use gamestop, and if ms splits with the devs/publishers, they are all happy.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]and in unrelated News:Detroit:Ford Motor Company announced that beginning December 12th of this year they implemented a 5 tank refill limit on used Ford Motorcars.

After the 5th Tank has been used up the Engine Management System (EMS) will prevent further startup of the engine unless a new Key code is entered into the Engine Management Computer (EMC) via the Dashboard GPS system.

Keycodes are as follows:

4 Cylinder $499.00
6 Cylinders $799.00
8 Cylinders $ 999.00

There will be a $100 per year surcharge for each model year prior to 2005.

GM has announced they are investigating their options to re-certify their certified used cars while Chrysler has made it clear thru their Partner FIAT that such a scheme was totally unacceptable. They are planing to offer memberships to their Certified Car Club (CCC) at a flat rate of $248.85/year.[/citation]

I call bullshit. There's no way those numbers are accurate, businesses always tack on .99 cents to numbers like that.

You're so full of crap it's laughable. Go back to reading conspiracy theories on $60 Xbox Live access you fanboy.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]I'm not convinced they're using a 6670. That'd be plain stupid. I'm quite sure they'll use at the very, very least a 6850, but if they're looking for bang for buck + longevity, a 6950 2gb.They'll most likely use a hd 6000 due to prices. 7000 series has a quite higher value.[/citation]
because once you program for a card specifically, you get more power out of it, and if they force tessellation, there would be no need for more power, the only sticking point left in there is texture sizes, i dont need them insanely huge, i just don't want to see crappy textures unless i try to break teh engine, or walk strait into a wall

[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]No way it's as fast given the form factor. It's definitely underclocked and cut down version at best. But in either case, what is wrong with PC coders (besides their temptation to release the game purely to get profit)? Can't they get anything right? We already know current (even i3) CPU is not a problem for most games and GTX550 or HD6770 are way superior to console. How come such a gap in performance? And hey, isn't it time to get decent AI and some life into Single Player? Current games just suck, AI is stupid, predictable and clumsy.[/citation]

consoles run at 720p or less for one, most pc users with a decent gpu run 1080p or 1920x1200
most console games run as though the textures are on low, most pc gpus with 1gb of ram can run most games with high texture settings (some need more than 1gb ram)
most consoles dont use the same shadowing abilities the pc uses,

consoles fake their graphics more than the pc fakes it, thats why the pc doesn't have that massive performance gap you are expecting.

G

Wait what? The WiiU will ONLY be weaker by 20%? Holy shit, that's way more powerful than I expected, I thought it'd be on par with the 360 and PS3. Man, I can't wait to see a new Mario or Zelda in 1080p now.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]AIstudio[/nom]Personally I think that this sort of approach is a BIG mistake. If I buy something, use it, and then decide to sell it that should be my prerogative.So what if all manufacturers of everything took this approach?? That would mean NO second hand cars, TV's or anything else.I think the governing bodies should step in on this and let them know that this is an unfair business practice and prevent it from happening!![/citation]
The reason is simple, the intellectual property belongs to the developer not the end user, you perhaps own the media, the optical disk, though I'd say their lawyers would say you long term lease it or something, since at some point the console hardware will die and your disk obviously won't work. Publicly traded corporations, have an obligation to their shareholders to return value to them first and foremost. This fact incentivizes their business practices to find any and all ways to not only maintain their quarterly share price but increase it. So, we are now in a world of monthly subscriptions for virus software, then internet security suites and then all software will go this way, since this means guaranteed monthly income for the company, also they, if not explicitly requiring it, encourage the end user to upgrade, which at some point will be manditory. After a couple versions of mandatory updates, then you will have to upgrade your hardware or not use the software. If it gets to the point where there is no physical media at all and all software isn't downloadable as installation files on your computer and only cloud based, then we'll be forced into upgrades, not just to stay compatible with anyone else, but simply to use for ourselves. Some would say we're already there. Yes I got off topic, since it started with gaming. But the overall theme is simple, developers each and every year are "squeezing the package", if you know what I mean, and yes I'll stop using technology completely before they have a direct withdraw from my bank account and I'm just a formality.

choji7

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]consoles run at 720p or less for one, most pc users with a decent gpu run 1080p or 1920x1200most console games run as though the textures are on low, most pc gpus with 1gb of ram can run most games with high texture settings (some need more than 1gb ram) most consoles dont use the same shadowing abilities the pc uses, consoles fake their graphics more than the pc fakes it, thats why the pc doesn't have that massive performance gap you are expecting.[/citation]
Actually, consoles RARELY render at 720p. Most of the time consoles run a bit lower than that(what the game renders at is completely up to the developer) the console's GPU then upscale the image to 720p resolution. This allows games to render at much lower resolutions and use a bit lower texture quality (and less textures overall).

This approach is fine for many people because they don't really notice, other people do notice this trick they use though. Overall, what they're doing is fine as long as whoever plays consoles only plays consoles. If any console players also own a decent PC, they'll notice a difference like night and day.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Scumbag Microsoft. There goes lending games to friends.If I pick up one of these consoles, it will be modchipped as soon as a solution for this problem (which shouldn't exist anyways) is released.Also, it's funny that (if those predictions are correct) that Nintendo (of all companies) will be more or less the standard for PC game development for the next 5 years or so.[/citation]
No different to Steam and I am glad this is happening, it will stop the after-marker grey cash going to 2nd hand games shops instead of the developers and will result in cheaper games or big sale weekends.
Don't believe it?
Already happens on Steam so it's not a theory, it's already happening

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Prevent used games...lol...this is a joke. So, what about game rentals like Gamespy or Blockbuster. This is absolutely riddiculous to even suggest that you PREVENT people from sharing legitimate copies of their games. also, what happens if you own more than one machine, as I do? What a joke...

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]No different to Steam and I am glad this is happening, it will stop the after-marker grey cash going to 2nd hand games shops instead of the developers and will result in cheaper games or big sale weekends....Don't believe it?...Already happens on Steam so it's not a theory, it's already happening[/citation]

No it is NOT...steam doesn't prevent you from playing on multiple machines, and also...steam is a NON-PHYSICAL media format...where as Xbox is definitely not! You can's have a global reach with a restriction like you much be connected to the internet.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Do you bitch like this about when you purchase a track from apple's iTunes store and when you're sick of listening to it - can't give it to a friend or sell it on?
If you don't bitch about that then STFU.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hiruu[/nom]No it is NOT...steam doesn't prevent you from playing on multiple machines, and also...steam is a NON-PHYSICAL media format...where as Xbox is definitely not! You can's have a global reach with a restriction like you much be connected to the internet.[/citation]
Chances are it will also be linked to you being logged into your Xbox Live account, so if you move from room to room or go round to a friends house you can log into your account and play
Exactly the same as Steam
What this will do is prevent the sales on the grey market that developers don't see a penny of, and as far as game rentals go that is something else that developers don't see a penny of either

G

The AMD 6670 card is weak right now and by 2013 it will be a joke. If this rumor is true about using the 6670 design in the new xbox 720 then that is just pathetic on Microsoft's part to base their nextgen console on. It would make it VERY easy for Sony to crush the xbox 720 without spending much $$$.

jmack5864

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Chances are it will also be linked to you being logged into your Xbox Live account, so if you move from room to room or go round to a friends house you can log into your account and play...Exactly the same as Steam...What this will do is prevent the sales on the grey market that developers don't see a penny of, and as far as game rentals go that is something else that developers don't see a penny of either[/citation]

Um... correct me if I am wrong but I believe that rental companies like Blockbuster and Gamefly have to pay a premium price for each copy of a game they legally acquire. Example, if a new game comes out and costs us $60 then Gamefly would have to pay $600-$1000 per copy to legally rent the game. I know this is true for the movie rental business and should be true for the game rental business. If it is true then, your argument that developers don't see a penny from the rental business is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.