Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games; Wii U Better Than X360

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"So here's what we have so far: the Xbox 720 will reportedly be six times as powerful as the current 360 unit, and 20-percent greater in performance power than the Wii U. Nintendo's "underpowered" Wii U, on the other hand, is supposedly twice as powerful as the Xbox 360."

Solve the ecuation:
if Xbox720 = 6*Xbox360
and WiiU = 2*Xbox360
and Xbox720 = 1'2*WiiU

then Xbox720 = 1'2*2*Xbox360 = 2'4*Xbox360 =/=6*Xbox360

Something doesn't match here :p

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
"So here's what we have so far: the Xbox 720 will reportedly be six times as powerful as the current 360 unit, and 20-percent greater in performance power than the Wii U. Nintendo's "underpowered" Wii U, on the other hand, is supposedly twice as powerful as the Xbox 360. Based on those numbers, Nintendo will fall behind again once the Xbox 720 makes its debut towards the end of 2013"

This makes no sense. The Wii U is supposedly 50-100% more powerful than the 360. The Nexbox has a GPU 6x more powerful than the 360. And somehow its only 20% more powerful than the Wii U? The math makes no sense. I hope the 6x is the wrong figure, that's pretty small considering how many years its been. If the Wii U really has performance within spitting distance of the Nexbox, than the latter doesn't hold a whole lot of appeal besides probably better online, Kinect, and its exclusives, but if the power is close lots of exclusives could switch to multiplatform.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Fall behind "again" like they did with the Wii? Owait, the Wii vastly outsold the 360 despite being MUCH less powerful.

I wouldn't call an anonymous developer a reliable source of information. I wouldn't put any faith in a developer who's concerned about the graphics it can push and not the gameplay it can create with the system either. If you want max graphics, develop for PC.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Chances are it will also be linked to you being logged into your Xbox Live account, so if you move from room to room or go round to a friends house you can log into your account and play...Exactly the same as Steam...What this will do is prevent the sales on the grey market that developers don't see a penny of, and as far as game rentals go that is something else that developers don't see a penny of either[/citation]

My concern for devs only goes so far. A lot of people depend on and have depended on used games to even play the game. Not everyone can afford new game prices. Rentals are also a very nice way to test a game out and see if it's any good before buying it. I can't just blindly have faith in 50 dollar purchases at this point when nearly everything is shovelware. This also keeps older games in the loop a lot longer since game devs want to hold onto them forever in case it deserves a rerelease and won't allow any legit emulation of old and out of the loop games.

This isn't comparable with Steam at all. Steam is DDL, console games are still sold through normal means. I can't sell a used song off iTunes, but I can sell a used CD. Do you really think Gamestop will be dropping prices or having Steam type sales? Steam bundles work to begin with because they're bundling in a lot of old/lower selling games. Don't expect Square to bundle all the FF games together for the price of one. If MS wants to sell XBL account locked games, they have the capabilities to do that themselves with their current PC gaming platform. Good luck with that.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Lets settle down this was someunamed source, for all we know this unamed soruce could be working for Nintendo to scarwe people into thinking such claim so that people will run out and buy the Wii U instead.[/citation]

Nintendo is trying to trick us into buying a console that isn't out yet by lying about a console which we will have more facts on before Nintendo's console is out? Don't really see how that would work.

Sorry Microsoft, but if you tell the consumer they can't buy used X720 games, and people can buy used Wii U games, you dun goofed. I'd take an unlocked system with lower specs over a more powerful but locked system anyday. Lock a console and you're encouraging people to mod it, and those mods will usually come out with piracy features as well. That's what happened with the Wii, legit mods on the Homebrew Channel to enable features like playing from a hard drive and playing DVD movies quickly lead to playing "backups". People will play the games they want the way they want. Hopefully this ends up as a false rumor because it's a deal breaker for me.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]It just boggles my mind seeing how xbox 360 being 6 times slower (on GPU processing) than AMD 6670 1GB DDR5 can have so much punch. Time for PC game coders to wake up, anyone? What good is GTX 780 and AMD 7970 if the games are resource hogs?[/citation]

Thats the downside to having to use a heavy duty OS and not coding directly to the hardware. Windows and high level API's may be nice to code for, but they do carry significant performance penaltys.

Remember last summer when AMD went on a rant about DX? They were right: Using it costs performance. Coding to the hardware is always better, hence why consoles get more from less.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
You know, I am not surprised by this at all. While I don't support this anti-used game tactic it is about time. How long have we PC gamers have dealt with the issue of cd-keys? Then those cd-keys started being tied permanently to a single personal account, and then it moved all the way to accounts holding many games on Steam and other similar services. This is something PC gamers have dealt with for quite sometime now.

I find this interesting as if they are the only ones to do it then we may see publishers favor the console and put out big name exclusives for it making it a temptation for Nintendo and Sony to do so next time as well. If they do not handle this correctly the console will suffer in sales and thus game sales as well making the whole thing a failure. I think what it will come down to is game pricing if a "new" game (meaning unopened not date of release)
remains higher priced despite time passing then the console is doomed.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Remember when a new console contained technology that actually was exciting and new (and maybe even scary to mega-PC owners)? Even if it turned out to be hype? Last time that happened, IIRC, was PS2. The "Emotion Engine" "60 million polys/sec" "2560 bits!" buzzwords had me concerned for PC gaming until Geforce was announced (remember, we only had 3d "rasterizer" cards at this point when the PS2 was being hyped, and a Dreamcast showed visuals at times that a gaming PC could not match at that time, IMHO). Now, we get new hyped consoles with off the shelf PC components, nothing really exciting or unseen, except maybe for the PPC cpu.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]No different to Steam and I am glad this is happening, it will stop the after-marker grey cash going to 2nd hand games shops instead of the developers and will result in cheaper games or big sale weekends....Don't believe it?...Already happens on Steam so it's not a theory, it's already happening[/citation]

Really, you honestly believe it will make games cheaper. I'm tired of people who don't understand fundamental capitalism, there is no need for the companies to pass on the savings, they will simply pocket the extra earnings. That simple. You as a consumer can't be this naive and are extremely silly for supporting. Did the banks after being bailed out all of sudden get some altruistic bone and pass on their savings/earnings to the people by bailing them out of foreclosures??? No they didn't. The only thing that would lower prices is theoritically is competition, but the gaming industry like most capital markets today are collusive, essentially, manufacturers try to set a price point that everyone stays around. Price competition only happens in emerging product sectors not established ones, kind of like the Kindle Fire came in to fill a niche the Ipad didn't. But just because say Amazon somehow saved some cash doesn't mean the fire will get cheaper, they'll pocket the earnings. Games will not get cheaper because the second hand market dissappears bottom line it just means you'll be paying full price for every game you buy and the full price will essentially be what it is today or even more , because, you really won't have other options.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
It's hard to believe that the modified HD4800 (RV770) inside the Wii U will be a lot times slower than a 6670 equivalent chip inside the 720. If you look at both cards specs, it makes no sense that gap. Said in another way, I call BS on the claim that the Wii U is 2x the X360 and the X720 will be 6x the X360.

Cheers!

G

So what if you buy a ton of games, then your console crashes? You can't play any of those games on the replacement console you buy?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jmack5864[/nom]Um... correct me if I am wrong but I believe that rental companies like Blockbuster and Gamefly have to pay a premium price for each copy of a game they legally acquire. Example, if a new game comes out and costs us $60 then Gamefly would have to pay $600-$1000 per copy to legally rent the game. I know this is true for the movie rental business and should be true for the game rental business. If it is true then, your argument that developers don't see a penny from the rental business is false.[/citation]
Those disks are also stamped with a notice saying "Rental Copy, not for resale", I wouldn't be surprised if those disks are encoded to work on any machine and only the retail versions have the restriction, in the world of IT anything is possible.
It's all a moot point at the moment as this is all conjecture and hearsay at best, but if there is a grain of truth it could work as long as things like account login are used to tie and rental copies are excluded, amongst any other helpful suggestions other than simply "I don't like it".

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Really, you honestly believe it will make games cheaper. I'm tired of people who don't understand fundamental capitalism, there is no need for the companies to pass on the savings[/citation]
You being cynical doesn't stop Steam from having massive sales, it's not a theory

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]This isn't comparable with Steam at all. Steam is DDL[/citation]
In that they are user specific, yes, just on a physical disk
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Epic fail on MS part, time to start the campaign my friend, that's like telling people who by used cars they shouldn't drive???[/citation]
But a stupid used car analogy goes unpunished?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
"graphical prowess"?

prow·ess/ˈprou-əs/
Noun:
Skill or expertise in an activity or field.
Bravery in battle.

You can't have "twice" the prowess. I'm sure you meant "power"

G

I don't necessarily believe any of this info is true. But if the 2nd hand game thing is true, you can bet that I won't even consider buying the next Xbox; I don't care how good it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS