Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games; Wii U Better Than X360

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Well I can for one can believe easily Microsoft would cripple the used games. It makes a lot of sense for them to do so.
Used game sales don't generate a revenue stream for any one except whoever is selling the used game. However, gamestop has proven that there is a HUGE market for that sort of thing, not to mention gamefly and their rental system, which also only generates a one time revenue hit for the purchase of the games, the rest goes to gamefly for the rental.
I've only bought 6 new games since the release of the Xbox 360, but I own around 50.
Why do I and so many others probably have this skewed count of new vs used?
The answer is simple.. NEW GAMES ARENT WORTH THE PRICE THEY ARE SOLD FOR!!!
New games are out right anal rape, and I can't see shelling out that kind of cash for a game.
So as opposed to adjusting the cost of games to make the sales of new ones more attractive they will simply find a way to lock a game to a person, crippling both the used sales and rental of said game. They probably figure it'd create a little back lash for a bit, but in the end people would just bend over and take it in the tail pipe.
Sony / Nintendo would likely follow suite in this, however it may be a while.. I for one won't buy a 720 should this tactic be deployed, the 360 will have several years of life in it before the game flow dies out completely, and after that I'll either hang it up completely or find a console that doesn't have that anti-used measure in it.
As far as the Wii U having limited horse power...
Only twice as much as the 360 isn't bad, given the original Wii...I've never been a Wii fan, so I could personally care less.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
the System is already in place and being used.

You have to Enter a MS-Content Code from a Code Card in the Game's Box, which will download the DRM-Module for the Game.

if you buy the game used, you'll have to buy a DRM-License Key from MS for the Title.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I cannot imagine Microsoft limiting people in this way. If they do people will simply choose another console to play the most popular multi platform games anyway. ie: MW, BF, DA, any and all popular titles are cross platform so I'm guessing this is just a benign rumor.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I don't know how to feel about this. I will just say this : (most) people claim that gaming on PC is way better than consoles. People complain that we MIGHT not be able to play used games, or lend games to friends. Like playing a used game on PC is easy.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]Wake up people! You do not own anything in the usa you only lease it from the government and corporations.[/citation]
It's only a rumor.

Take your tinfoil hat off.

G

Damn, this is crazy but honestly, i don't think Microsoft is dumb enough to do do that

G

I'm not really a fan but, I do know that when the system comes out its gonna be awesome.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I call bullshit. There's no way those numbers are accurate, businesses always tack on .99 cents to numbers like that.You're so full of crap it's laughable. Go back to reading conspiracy theories on $60 Xbox Live access you fanboy.[/citation]

My 'news' may have been silly crap, but it is not a "conspiracy theory" ! It is called satire :)

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Thats the downside to having to use a heavy duty OS and not coding directly to the hardware. Windows and high level API's may be nice to code for, but they do carry significant performance penaltys.Remember last summer when AMD went on a rant about DX? They were right: Using it costs performance. Coding to the hardware is always better, hence why consoles get more from less.[/citation]

Except Xbox uses DirectX (8.1 on Xbox 1, 9.0x on 360)
and the 6670 uses a GDDR3 Controller not GDDR5.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]pierogi210[/nom]I'm really happy that this is happening. I'm a pc player and its been way to long for this to happen. If pc players can't resell and trade their games why should consoles be able to get away with it. There is no difference except that we play on different consoles. pc players got cd-keys now consoles wont' be able to play used games. AWESOME[/citation]

So basically what your comment says is "if I don't get a break because I chose to be a pc gamer. nobody else should get one either". Man, that is like the best example of being bitter and hateful i've ever seen.

pierogi210

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Yup, basically that's what my comment says. Hopefully in the long run pc games will be what they used to be: made once and correctly, not being ported over from consoles, being dumbed down and filled with rushed half jobs. Hence less consoles players, less money being dumped, and more titles being want to be created for pc first.

fractalsphere

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I'm not sure why this would even be an issue. If I buy a game, play it, and then trade it off to a game shop (or whatever store chain you prefer) and someone else buys it, or give it to a friend of mine, it's not even like I'm trying to COPY the game illegally - it's still only a single instance of this game being connected to Xbox live and playing. You'd think they would ENCOURAGE this sort of thing to get players playing more. Because once they're on and playing, the up-selling begins in the form of extra content, demos, sequels to games and other games purchasable/downloadable through Live.

And how would this effect the game RENTAL markets? I know I have rented games for a couple bucks to see if I wanted to spend the $30-$50 for a new game, and occasionally I have. This would kill that market entirely.

It sounds like if they want to implement this model, they'll go to entirely downloadable game content and not even sell game DVDs, ensuring that the initial Xbox live account the game was purchased under is the only account you can play this game on.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]bboysil[/nom]Excuse my ignorance but how can the 720 be 6 times faster then the 360, the wii u 2 times then the 360 yet the 720 be only 20% better the the wii u???? Math wise it doesn't make a lot of sense Maybe someone can explain[/citation]
it meant 3 times not 20%

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]It just boggles my mind seeing how xbox 360 being 6 times slower (on GPU processing) than AMD 6670 1GB DDR5 can have so much punch. Time for PC game coders to wake up, anyone? What good is GTX 780 and AMD 7970 if the games are resource hogs?[/citation]you have to understand that console games look and run like shit. yes, not bad for a 6 gen old gpu, but its not even compatible. my bro was playing arkham city, it was running decently for the most part, but did lag at times.

i was playing batman ARKHAM ASYLUM and it looked better, ran at 4 times the pixels he was running at, and at >60fps. [i have 6850]. my old batman looked better than his new batman. his batman was textureless, it looked like throwup and ran just decent enough.

G

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Those disks are also stamped with a notice saying "Rental Copy, not for resale", I wouldn't be surprised if those disks are encoded to work on any machine and only the retail versions have the restriction, in the world of IT anything is possible....It's all a moot point at the moment as this is all conjecture and hearsay at best, but if there is a grain of truth it could work as long as things like account login are used to tie and rental copies are excluded, amongst any other helpful suggestions other than simply "I don't like it".[/citation]

If that were the case, then once copies could be replicated, the pirates would know where to go for the originals when making copies, or design a program that injects / removes the necessary information when handling the image file before burning.

It's all just rumor. Perhaps they'll have a new higher tier xbox live account so you pay more per month for the ability to play rentals. Perhaps there is a one-time fee per game title to allow a rental copy to be played. Perhaps Microsoft intends to create their own rental business that will discourage users, but not completely block them, for going somewhere else for rentals. Perhaps the new xbox will be able to stream games like the onlive service, and so the alternative to purchasing a physical copy is to buy time in 1 hr, 24 hr, 48 hr, 72hr time increments, etc... We'll all just have to wait and see.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]R Tard Ard[/nom]The AMD 6670 card is weak right now and by 2013 it will be a joke. If this rumor is true about using the 6670 design in the new xbox 720 then that is just pathetic on Microsoft's part to base their nextgen console on. It would make it VERY easy for Sony to crush the xbox 720 without spending much $$$.[/citation]lol good one. everyone knows thats not true. it'll be fine, theyll manage to run at 1080p and most of their games at 60fps. the current xenos is trash, but up until a couple years ago, it was chugging along just fine. every new gen they say the same thing. "oh specs suck its gonna suck after a year, it wont run shit, no one will buy it, its a flop"

it's gonna do great. whether u like it or not. why? because theyll release a 18th halo for it.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
maybe that claim for (Next Xbox) being 6x more powerful (than 360) is only on paper, but in reality it is only really 2.4x faster (in real world performance). Or whoever that developer of the Wii U is has an older dev kit or just running crappy early code. We all know how Xbox and Sony loves to boast theoretical specs to make things look better than they really are, while Nintendo actually gives real world specs, even though in this case they haven't said anything about the specs yet, so all still rumor.

G

Easiest way to "solve" the used game problem is to sell games for say 20% less as digital download......i woukd never buy another tangible disc!

Status
Not open for further replies.