Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games; Wii U Better Than X360

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Microsoft can bite me!!! The majority of the games I have are used.

I won't be buying their new console if they are really going to prevent the use of used games.

deanmike

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
So what if you buy a ton of games, then your console crashes? You can't play any of those games on the replacement console you buy?

That's the way I read it. Even if the Xbox self-destructs like the RROD. I am pretty sure that is the way some versions of MS Windows is in the PC world. Heck, with a PC, if you change out enough hardware you run into that

deanmike

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
>Perhaps there is a one-time fee per game title to allow a rental copy to be played.

If it comes to that, I will modchip mine and play pirated games. No live account necessary. If modding isn't possible, I won't even buy such a hobbled console

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]deftenslower[/nom]Wait what? The WiiU will ONLY be weaker by 20%? Holy shit, that's way more powerful than I expected, I thought it'd be on par with the 360 and PS3.[/citation]
What gave you that impression? Every rumor I've heard indicates that the GPU in the Wii U is similar to an HD4870. How is that in any way merely "on par" with the X1900 like GPU in the 360? I would think the HD4870 has to offer at least 3x the performance.

What really surprises me is that these rumors seem to suggest an HD6670 can outperform an HD4870, which I find strange given their specs. At least on Windows based desktops, an HD6670 definitely does NOT outperform an HD4870. In fact, the HD4870 tends to perform significantly better. Maybe the rumored specs for one or both of the consoles are simply inaccurate? Maybe the next xbox has a modified HD6670, or some additional hardware that gives it a performance edge?

I don't know, but as it is something doesn't add up... And yes, that last paragraph in the article makes absolutely no sense to me either.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Edit: Apparently the performance gap between the HD6670 and HD4870 isn't nearly as significant as I originally thought. The HD4870 seems to be in the area of 10 - 20% faster at 1080p. But in any case, the HD4870 still outperforms the HD6670 in every DX10/9 benchmark I've seen.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well one thing is that hd4870 would be manufactured today in different scale than it was manufactured 4 years ago. 40 nm vs. 90 nm. It would give it an edge (at least in power consumption) but, yeah it should be faster that pure 6670, but console GPU tends to be a little bit modified versions, so we have to wait and see. But that 6670 level seems to be about right compared to earlier rumours, and it will be step up from mod 1900 from 360.

G

@hiruu 01/26/2012 1:23 PM
"No it is NOT...steam doesn't prevent you from playing on multiple machines, and also...steam is a NON-PHYSICAL media format...where as Xbox is definitely not! You can's have a global reach with a restriction like you much be connected to the internet."

Don't blind yourself...it is the same as steam do ,you are tied to an account......

stupidvillager

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
In the same article (from Develop) they say one source said it was less powerful than expected (stated last year) and then they say that another source says it is far more powerful than what was expected. But yet Toms chooses to run only the first quote. The second quote supposedly echos IGNs claims on the 720 being 20% more powerful than the Wii Us. We already know that the latest dev kits had a performance boost. But hey, lets run with the negative side of it.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]bboysil[/nom]Excuse my ignorance but how can the 720 be 6 times faster then the 360, the wii u 2 times then the 360 yet the 720 be only 20% better the the wii u???? Math wise it doesn't make a lot of sense Maybe someone can explain[/citation]

The XBox 720 has 4 hamsters inside the Wii U don't! Hope this helps!

G

Why not just wait a bit for the price of new games to come down. Whoever pays $60 for a game is just paying to have the latest and "greatest". You can get many games for $20-$30 new if you just wait a few months, especially the games that release a new version every year (sports/COD) which lose their value fairly quickly. I just bought NBA 2K11 for $7.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I don't mind if the hardware behind the console is weak but what they have done for years leaving the consoles very much memory starved is what leaves games looking less than what could have been achieved. Second limited memory puts more limitations for developers later on in the consoles life making it more difficult to improve overall quality. Consoles need to be more open to the home brew community while providing room for physical expandability for developers. This idea of restricting second hand/used sales of games is retarded and a bad move. All it will do is force people to play on a different console or go pc. It harms sales in the long run and hurts the overall value of the console.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]bboysil[/nom]Excuse my ignorance but how can the 720 be 6 times faster then the 360, the wii u 2 times then the 360 yet the 720 be only 20% better the the wii u???? Math wise it doesn't make a lot of sense Maybe someone can explain[/citation]

it is a form of fox news math.
120% of Americans believe that the xbox 720 will be 6 times faster than the xbox 360 while at the same time being only around 2 times as fast as the xbox 360

DearSX

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
They must mean bandwidth. Xbox 360 = 22gb per cycle. 6670 can do 6 times that with gddr5. Xbox BS like before. they said 3 cores running at 3.2ghz each. google it.

aneasytarget

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
This article is total fud.

The bigger issue will be whether the xbox 720 will be able to play xbox 360 games or not. It is rumored they are NOT going to use an intel processor. A big selling point of the xbox 360 over the ps3 in the early days was backwards compatibility.

So what percentage of 360 games will work flawlessly on the 720?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Clonazedamdingdong[/nom]If that were the case, then once copies could be replicated, the pirates would know where to go for the originals when making copies, or design a program that injects / removes the necessary information when handling the image file before burning.It's all just rumor. Perhaps they'll have a new higher tier xbox live account so you pay more per month for the ability to play rentals. Perhaps there is a one-time fee per game title to allow a rental copy to be played. Perhaps Microsoft intends to create their own rental business that will discourage users, but not completely block them, for going somewhere else for rentals. Perhaps the new xbox will be able to stream games like the onlive service, and so the alternative to purchasing a physical copy is to buy time in 1 hr, 24 hr, 48 hr, 72hr time increments, etc... We'll all just have to wait and see.[/citation]
And current Xbox technology only allows copies to be played if the unit is fudged, which MS regularly pick up and ban Xbox Live accounts for, surely they will have the same if not more stringent copy-detection systems in the Next-Box

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
The Wii U will have twice the GPU power of the 360, the 720 will have 6 times that of the 360, thus making the 720 have 3 times the GPU power of the Wii U, yet it only performs 20% better? >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.