Xbox 720 Won't Play Used Games; Wii U Better Than X360

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pierogi210

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I'm really happy that this is happening. I'm a pc player and its been way to long for this to happen. If pc players can't resell and trade their games why should consoles be able to get away with it. There is no difference except that we play on different consoles. pc players got cd-keys now consoles wont' be able to play used games. AWESOME

G

C4EVA will find a way around all that if they implement it. always has and always will. i wouldnt buy an xbox if i didnt think it could be modded, and i would never buy a wii or ps, as they seemed geared toward more kids than adults.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Disastrous marketing fail MS, for not naming it XBOX 1080
I never owned an MSBOX, never will. For me it's either PC, or PS3/4, and if WiiU finally gets a proper non-copied from 3 iterations ago Mario game out, then I will add that to my library too.

I may have missed out on sime MS exclusives, but nothing to cry home about. I love GT5 on PS3, that is my hobby well invested.

deanmike

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Madden 12 was crap? So was 11, 10, 09, 08... seeing a pattern here? That game is relabeled every year and minimal content is updated. They even had a NCAA version a few years back which had some of the NFL rules in-game instead of NCAA rules.

EA has a history of this. They buy some great companies like Dice then ruin the games with patches which break more than they fix or don't bother fixing anything at all.

deanmike

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Madden 12 was crap? So was 11, 10, 09, 08... seeing a pattern here? That game is relabeled every year and minimal content is updated. They even had a NCAA version a few years back which had some of the NFL rules in-game instead of NCAA rules.

EA has a history of this. They buy some great companies like Dice then ruin the games with patches which break more than they fix or don't bother fixing anything at all.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
If the Xbox came with anything but a Blu-Ray it would be garbage.

RE: "Blu-ray optical drive and some kind of anti-used game system."
I believe that's a crock of bubbling crap and twisted out of some anti-Xbox forum or BS rumor mill.

deanmike

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Why wouldn't this fit an antitrust definition? I guess this "no used games" thing basically kills gamefly.com. People should just let the xbox 720 rot on the shelves with this kind of crap. I buy used games a lot, especially since they have been jacking up the prices on new titles. I hope this crap backfires big time.

I didn't look through all the posts here yet but I bet someone will suggest some attorney gets his pockets loaded up with case, I mean, Class action lawsuit, lol.

I love PC games and miss that era dearly. Unfortunately developers have gotten away from PC games in favor of consoles so that really isn't an option. If I ever get a new Xbox I will modchip it to play used games. Guess that means I won't need to buy Xbox live gold too then, eh, MS?

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Why is it that video game companies feel so entitled to collect used residuals? The latest Batman game requires a code for the Batwoman character (which you have to pay for if you buy the game used), and other companies have talked about circumventing players' ability to buy used games.

Furniture makers don't make money on used couches. Car companies don't make money on used cars. Builders don't make money on used houses. Computer companies don't make money on used machines. And so on, and so on. What is so special about video games that they should never be sold used without even more money going to the manufacturer?

If this rumor is true, I'll never touch a 720. In a depressed economy, this is a stupid thing to do. While there will be some early adopters, the masses will already have trouble shelling out however many hundreds of dollars for a new console, let alone one that only allows $60+ games to played on it.

Peppermonkey

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
XBOX360 * 6 = NEXTBOX
NEXTBOX = WIIU * 1.2
WIIU = XBOX360 * 2

Using substitution:
XBOX360 * 6 = WIIU * 1.2
XBOX360 * 6 = XBOX360 * 2 * 1.2
XBOX360 * 6 = XBOX360 * 2.4
6 = 2.4 is false

Someone has their facts wrong.

Ranger104

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I already have enough games for the PC. Anyone wants to make it a problem for me to purchase their item. I will happily oblige them by not purchasing it.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]pierogi210[/nom]I'm really happy that this is happening. I'm a pc player and its been way to long for this to happen. If pc players can't resell and trade their games why should consoles be able to get away with it. There is no difference except that we play on different consoles. pc players got cd-keys now consoles wont' be able to play used games. AWESOME[/citation]

Im for anything that screws the console peons and make the console market less appealing.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Peppermonkey[/nom]XBOX360 * 6 = NEXTBOXNEXTBOX = WIIU * 1.2WIIU = XBOX360 * 2Using substitution:XBOX360 * 6 = WIIU * 1.2XBOX360 * 6 = XBOX360 * 2 * 1.2XBOX360 * 6 = XBOX360 * 2.46 = 2.4 is falseSomeone has their facts wrong.[/citation]

Making a cheap analysis of different benchmarks based on rumours = false.

G

i dont understand. wii u is twice as powerful as 360, and the 720 is six times as powerful as the 360, but only 20% more powerful than the wii u. someone cant do math (maybe me):
if 360 power=100, then
720 power=600 (360 power*6), and
wii u power=200 (360 power*2)
but if 720 power= 600, then
wii u power must be 500 (600/1.2), assuming the 720 is only 20% more powerful.
wut?

oxiide

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
[citation][nom]jldevoy[/nom]Theyre trying to block 2nd hand games because a few games used to be sold on long after release; now so many are being sold just a couple of weeks after release that its cannibalising the sales of new copies.[/citation]
If they'd consistently make innovative, good games with lots of replay value (and/or drop prices of low-quality titles) the problem would solve itself.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
+1 for the recycling industry, recycling blu-ray discs for days!
Gamers "required" to read reviews before buying the game, decreasing sales for major titles like COD, BF, Winning, FIFA and many others!
Complete waste of resource, I would say.
P.S. I don't own a console but this is still ridiculous to me, why would they buy the console version when the ground is better in the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.