cybocross

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014
I know that this kind of question has been asked a LOT of times already. I usually know my stuff and if it was my laptop I would just try it, but this is for a friend and for her I have to be 100% sure! There is no trial and error!

She bought the Asus X550 (http://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=1C28-1RT). It comes with Windows 8.1 and a lot of bloatware. We want to get rid of this crap!

I plan on doing this:
1) repartition the harddrive to get rid of the recovery stuff
2) grab a Windows 8.1 ISO and make a clean install

The question is: Will it work? Which ISO do I take and will the key get recognized? Is it guaranteed, that the key is stored in BIOS and ready to (re)use?

Thanks in advance.

cybocross

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

Thanks for the quick answer, but couldn't it be that the key I am able to get with third-party tools is different than the one in the BIOS? And how do I find out which exact Windows 8.1 build ISO I have to use?

cybocross

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

Alright, thanks. Where do I get to download said Windows 8.1 ISO without being a MSDN subscriber? I think I just have the pro version lying around.

cybocross

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

Thank you very much! You have been very helpful. I will try that tomorrow and report back.
One last question for now: Is there a way to tell if the setup recognizes the key before starting the actual installation process?

cybocross

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

Then a different question. If the key "does not match the image", is it possible to use a generic key to install and the bios key to activate?

cybocross

Estimable
Apr 26, 2014

Thank you very much! Everything went great. I found an ISO image and the key was immediately recognized and activated. (I used RWEverything to grab the key off the BIOS just in case).
I was able to completely wipe the HDD off all recovery crap and installed a clean copy of Windows with every driver! Thanks a ton!