Solved! Can you change upgrade lenova yoga 2 13 motherboard to yoga 3 13 or any other higher ?

kinglord

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
Guys I bought good used yoga 2 13 from e bay for 240 last year. Laptop is good but I need stronger cpu and gpu I was wondering is there any change I can upgrade motherboard if other versions fit ?

Solution

No, the most important aspect of a laptop is the portability.
If you want performance, get a desktop.

Bottom line - you have to determine if your CPU can be changed.
Many cannot.
And if it can be...to what? It may not be a significant change.

clarkjd

Distinguished
laptops are not generally built to be upgraded, other than ram and/or hard drives, so upgrading the motherboard and CPU is MUCH more trouble that it is worth, even if possible.
You would probably have to upgrade the battery and cooling with a higher performance motherboard and CPU.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You need to discover what socket the CPU is in.
If it is a BGA socket, you are 100% out of luck.
Something else, you can maybe change it, within a small range of other CPU's.

So...what CPU and socket do you have?

kinglord

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

Yes True but most impotant point of laptop mainly is performance right? If i could pay 200-300 dolar for upgrading i5 4200u ddr3 8gb that would be perfect.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, the most important aspect of a laptop is the portability.
If you want performance, get a desktop.

Bottom line - you have to determine if your CPU can be changed.
Many cannot.
And if it can be...to what? It may not be a significant change.

Solution

kinglord

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

I look at inside you cant change it. It is melted like gpu i5 4200u. I cant even change ram only hard drive and fan LOL.

I looked at online and found this if it might help:

Yoga 2 13 (my one) http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Lenovo-Yoga-2-13-Disassembly-1.jpg
yoga 910 https://i1.wp.com/laptopmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/IMG_20161031_134631.jpg

In size they are same but internaly 910 have 2 fan and moterbord in diffrent place.

I dont think so any one would have experience or enough knowledge for this subject. Thank you guys.

kinglord

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4200U/m171274vs2742 there is the difference for cpu and for gpu it is nearly 2x but it is not all i need to think about power battery volt+Amper .....

kinglord

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

It is looking like this but I think there is chance you can change motherboard if it is fit.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Only if you find one in that exact same line of laptops. Not just Lenovo...that specific line from Lenovo.
This may or may not be an improvement.

Laptops are not standardized like desktops are.

kinglord

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

Good explanation thank you but I was mainly looking for some one who did it or try to do it. But I will consider your words.