Dark Zero

Estimable
May 4, 2014
Hello and good day. I'm going to a new college, I'm in my third year as a university student and I need help for a laptop. What I'm asking for are suggestions. The Purpose will be to use daily on my university not gaming.

What I'm looking for:

good built quality (something solid, I would personally love something like aluminum)

good battery life (Something that can last 7 hours hopefully)

and good performance (again I'm not asking for anything meant for gaming but a fast CPU that is good at multi tasking and hopefully doesn't stature or feels I'm going to die and wait forever)

Memory I can work with anything from 32 GB to 128 GB, again this laptop is just for college

My Budget for the laptop is $300 to $400

Also if it helps for shipping or sending my area is the US

I think with that kind of budget, 7+ hours might be difficult excluding Chromebooks (although hopefully somebody can prove otherwise).

Assuming by 'memory' you meant your HDD.

Actually, have you looked into Chromebooks at all?

Not sure what kind of work you'll be doing on the laptop in question?

Dark Zero

Estimable
May 4, 2014
I can't choose cromebook mainly because of skype. I need skype for some classes. I know there are apps in the apps store for cromebooks that basically work around word, powerpoint, excel and acesss, so that ain't much of a problem, and I saw 7 hours to not live connected to a power supply, 5 hours would also be good. the reason for the 300, 400 is because I am in a tight budget and don't wish to spend 600+ just to take some classes over skype and do some presentations

Dark Zero

Estimable
May 4, 2014

I can't choose cromebook mainly because of skype. I need skype for some classes. I know there are apps in the apps store for cromebooks that basically work around word, powerpoint, excel and acesss, so that ain't much of a problem, and I saw 7 hours to not live connected to a power supply, 5 hours would also be good. the reason for the 300, 400 is because I am in a tight budget and don't wish to spend 600+ just to take some classes over skype and do some presentations

Dark Zero

Estimable
May 4, 2014

if so do you know any good cromebooks for the price and can you give me an idea of what to expected in terms of built quality and performance

Build performance: pretty decent - same idea as a laptop - depends on the manufacturer & read reviews though! I'll link one at the end, that I think is a pretty good looking option.

Generally light, which is a trade-off with more soldered parts (it's more common to see even RAM and SSD soldered these days), which restricted upgrades to virtually zero - again, do your homework, some can take additional RAM and a new/larger SSD

Performance-wise: They are never going to be the best offering out there - not by a long shot. That being said, they have a purpose. Web-based applications primarilly. Usually dual-core processors, 2GB RAM and a 16GB SSD

This one is a refurb, but it's a 4GB version (you can add an SD card for additional internal storage) and 'new' is >$400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131871

Dark Zero

Estimable
May 4, 2014

I was doing some research of my own and I considering between this. = http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C100PA-DB01-Touch-aluminum-chassis/dp/B00YY3X678/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1439599182&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+Cromebook+flip

but I don't know the performance of the asus

and a HP Stream 11 or 13 (Since it's Windows) but the 2gb of ram strikes fear to my heart = http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Celeron-Horizon-Personal/dp/B00NSHLUBU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1439599357&sr=1-1&keywords=HP+Stream+11