Laptop fans at full speed (100%) all the time (even in UEFI menu)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2018
The two fans of my ASUS Zenbook UX303LN are running at full speed all the time. Even though the temperature of the CPU, the GPU, and the hard drive is lower than 40 ºC. I have Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit installed, but I think it's a hardware problem. First, because the problem is also present when I'm in the UEFI settings menu. Second, because I think I know what caused the problem. I accidentally hit the closed laptop in the power-off state with my hand two days ago. I also don't think there's a problem with the cables connecting the fans to the motherboard. The two fans have separate cables. And I think it's unlikely that both cables were damaged at the same time.

I can't use the laptop like this in university/library, but I also don't want to throw it away, only because of this problem with the fans. Do you know a way to further analyze the problem or a way to solve it?

Thanks, Robert

Solution
I solved it! Yesterday I did a lot of reading on the subject and decided to reset the CMOS as described here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-zenbook-ux303-nvidia-gt-840m.746873/page-137
I don't think this was the actual solution. After resetting the CMOS, the fans were still running at full speed from the start. But now the display was black. I thought I completely destroyed something. But I actually loosened the cable of the display a bit. After noticing this and reconnecting it properly, the display was working again and the fans were quiet again. This was totally unexpected in that moment. So if somebody else has this problem: Check your cables. All of them! Even If the display is working and you don't think it has...
Sep 25, 2018
I solved it! Yesterday I did a lot of reading on the subject and decided to reset the CMOS as described here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-zenbook-ux303-nvidia-gt-840m.746873/page-137
I don't think this was the actual solution. After resetting the CMOS, the fans were still running at full speed from the start. But now the display was black. I thought I completely destroyed something. But I actually loosened the cable of the display a bit. After noticing this and reconnecting it properly, the display was working again and the fans were quiet again. This was totally unexpected in that moment. So if somebody else has this problem: Check your cables. All of them! Even If the display is working and you don't think it has anything to do with a fan problem. Check it!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.