p4rkourist

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
This question is really easy to label as TLDR and move on but bear with me guys.

Hey guys! I'm looking for a laptop for school and I've been having a really hard time finding things that meet what I need. Lol.

First major Hurdle is I hate Mac. From what I understand, the only real reason everyone in Graphic Design and similar fields design on Mac is for system security. And that's what the trend has been. But plain and simply I cannot afford a Mac and you're not getting enough for your money. Plus, just from general preference. I've been on windows from the start and it's my environment. Especially with anxious anticipation for Windows 10.

2nd hurdle is price limitation. I'm a student putting myself through college with little financial aid and a small-amount-above-minimum-wage job. I'd say the most I can spend at once is about 850. But if it truly is the perfect machine for me I could dip into the savings a little to cover it.

3rd hurdle is specs. I'd like to at least see an i5 no less than 3rd generation, preferably 4th or 5th.4 gigs of RAM is fine if it is upgradeable otherwise I'm thinking 8. Not super worried about storage speed/capacity as SSDs are dropping in price like crazy and are easily swappable. Disc drive is absolutely unnecessary. Not too worried about I/O outside of a couple USB and some kind of display out but those are a given in today's market.

4th hurdle is display. Being a Graphic Design Student, Color Accuracy is of the utmost importance. I need something with good viewing angles and color reproduction. Resolution is not the hugest deal to me, I feel like with current technology a 3k or 4k display is just far too Taxing on hardware. So anywhere under that is great. Also touchscreen with the ability to fold or detach are highly desirable to me. Active Digitizer, Wacom powers preferably, is a huuuuuuggee plus. If this is asking too much in my price bracket I'll just grab a good capacitive stylus for my work like that nifty DirectStylus Nvudia has. Or any other recommendation for that is hugely appreciated!

Bonus things include aesthetic and graphics power. My Vice of Choice is gaming and if I can throw this bad boy in my bag and head to a LAN party and have some fun with friends I'll be incredibly stoked. Been playing Titanfall and Torchlight 2 lately for reference. Obviously at this price I'm not looking to Max Crysis. I already have a desktop and won't be heartbroken if my laptop can't really game. But if it can all the better. Aesthetics being the least important, I just really mean I'd prefer it not to be an ugly 1inch thick monster. Thinness is more for portability I suppose but a huge plus for aesthetic/build quality.

Final note - I know this is an incredibly tall order and I appreciate any time and effort you awesome people here on Tom's put into helping a struggling Graphic Design student get a decent portable rig. So! Best answer gets their favourite coffee or whatever on me! Just send me PayPal in for or something and I'll hook you up for your time and effort! Hopefully that's not against forum policy as I'm just trying to be nice, if it is let me know so I don't make that mistake again or get banned or anything Crazy like that.

Anyway thanks in advance guys!

-Coleman

P.S. Edit - Have been looking at lenovo Y50 (1080p) just because of the Price to performance but have heard awful things about the screen.

zarugal

Estimable
Jun 30, 2014
What you're basically asking for is a Mac without the badge or the pricetag.

I would just point out the reason why so many graphic designers choose Macs - it's the 4th point you've listed. MacBooks have always shipped with really good quality and high resolution displays. Many other brands of laptop are still stuck at below 1920x1080, and only gaming laptops regularly have 1080p or above resolution. The current MacBook range have shipped with 2560x1600 screens for well over 2 years now.

p4rkourist

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
You're not wrong. But I'm simply not interested in a Mac. Also no touchscreen. My girlfriends surface pro 1 she got on amazon new for very cheap is kicking ass but is such a small screen and I would like to look for other options. But Mac just isn't on the table for me due to price and the fact that I really dislike OSX. Sure there's boot camp. But still

p4rkourist

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
Furthermore as I'm totally aware these parameters are very hard, I'm also quite flexible. And am willing to make sacrifices at both ends, specs and price. But the biggest things are at least an i5 and a decent screen. Again resolution is not the issue. But color reproduction.