Plug monitor into graphics card or motherboard?

Zamblot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Ok im a gamer but i have came across an issue... at the moment i cant play very good games so im getting a gaming desktop but i have came across a big problem :( Ive just found out that plugging you motherboard into my monitor isnt good for gaming... does it make a huge difference???????
Its just my monitor is great but it only has one port... VGA!!!! The r7 graphics card i want only has hdmi or dvi... I dont want to plug my monitor into the motherboard when i make it but see no other choice... will a vga to hdmi/dvi adapter work to full gaming capabilities???? This sucks

Solution
Plugging into the motherboard will lead to utilizing only any integrated graphics that your CPU might have, which are extremely weak in comparison to most graphics cards. If the card you're getting has a DVI-I port (check google images to see what it looks like), then you can use a DVI-I to VGA adapter. If it doesn't have a DVI-I, I'm afraid you're pretty screwed as VGA is an analog interface, not digital (hence why you can only use an adapter with DVI-I), so it wouldn't work with HDMI or DVI-D.

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
Plugging into the motherboard will lead to utilizing only any integrated graphics that your CPU might have, which are extremely weak in comparison to most graphics cards. If the card you're getting has a DVI-I port (check google images to see what it looks like), then you can use a DVI-I to VGA adapter. If it doesn't have a DVI-I, I'm afraid you're pretty screwed as VGA is an analog interface, not digital (hence why you can only use an adapter with DVI-I), so it wouldn't work with HDMI or DVI-D.

Solution

Hlsgsz

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

It would be strange it they made r7s without a dvi-i port.

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Yes definitely plug your monitor into the GPU not the monitor. What specific card do you have? I'm willing to bet the DVI port is DVI-I if it doesn't have a VGA port. If so you can use a passive adapter, if not you will need to get an active adapter.