Rumor: Next-gen Xbox SoC "Oban," Already in Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Raw graphics processing power is expected to be 6 times that of the current console

hm... i wonder where we can find similar performance power at this moment ...

/sarcasm off

choji7

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Really hoping for something with bit more of a powerful gpu than a 6670 equivalent. Us PC gamers are going to be stuck with these hardware limiters for several years.

The comments in the ign link really shows how little people know about consoles. Many of them seem to believe that consoles are somehow vastly more efficient than PCs so the weaker gpu is ok, the custom boards and basic OS can only help games performance so much. Shame they don't seem to get that consoles normally render at lower res and then scale up the image.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
HD 6670 ?! LMAO
And here I was thinking my GTX560ti rig wont be as powerful as the new xbox... well seems like it will be outdated the day it comes out..

What the heck just get it out already... I'm tried of the shit ports..
Will be interesting to see how the devs will take full advantage of that hardware, it's about time they make full use of DX11.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I thought the Wii U's gpu was the equivalent of an Ati 4770, yet the 6670 is 20% more powerful? Except for the Dx11, it sounds like it's a bit of a step down.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow.. my old 8800GTS has more horsepower than the 6770, of course without the DX11, Tessellation etc.. Oh and power consumption was a lot higher but still...

And it's been what, 6-7 years since that came out?
Surely they can do better for power, I mean a 6850 would be a fantastic card for a console.

I guess they might be thinking about going smaller though, and the TDP of a larger card will impact their decision..

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
consoles dont use direct x, so features in dx aren't tied to the gpu.

people complaining about how the "hardware is already dated" how many games today take full advantage of everything available to them?

what im saying is that both consoles have a tessellation unit in them, and when done right will produce great graphics regardless of the hardware. as long as the consoles can push higher rez textures, and can push more pollies (4million ish) than they will be great.

and on the pc side, you will most likely see the benefit being higher detail settings. with engines taking advantage of tessellation, and probably doing it a hell of allot better than now, you will most likely see a huge leap in graphic quality on the pc, and probably specs for better graphics being reduced a bit too, because of better engines.

this next gen, is realistically be the first gen that could last 10 years as we have all the tools right now to render photo real in real time. i don't see dx12 or such being as show stopping as 11 was (what 10 should have been) dx 12 will most likely be a better rendering system than 11, no real new features to be added.

if games use opencl physics, we get better versions on the pc
if game employ dx11 graphics, we get better versions on the pc

tell me one way consoles will hold the pc back this gen, because i cant see it, and i would love to know, and please to not site gpu advancements from 10 years ago, because 10 years ago we werent in an area of diminishing returns.

G

Not even ati 7000 series on 28nm? Fail hard again microsoft! F*cking fail

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Microsoft really needs to look into making direct x more of an open standard, or using opengl for it's consoles. Locking down a console to use a pre-defined set of instructions and features, really limits studios on what they can do. Imagine what you could create with a completely free reign on code and shading techniques!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I would have been much impressed with a Trinity CPU/ AMD GPU combo, at least then there might have been some play. PowerPC? Give me a break. This console is going to be outdone by tablets in 2-3 years. So it sure as hell won't last 10 years.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]Microsoft really needs to look into making direct x more of an open standard, or using opengl for it's consoles. Locking down a console to use a pre-defined set of instructions and features, really limits studios on what they can do. Imagine what you could create with a completely free reign on code and shading techniques![/citation]

while i implore your enthusiasm, unfortunatly what you propose was the problem with the graphics industry before dx and ogl became standards, games had to be written specifically for certain graphics cards and this often pushed up dev time when you had a myriad of gpu's.

Althought i do agree that microsoft needs to open up DX to the wider O/s community. if that ever happens.

and those who complain about the console hardware, its an improvement, they want to make money so they are not going to stick a £500 GPU on its own into a console or even a £120 - £200 gpu but since they are designing for specific hardware there will be better overall performance compared to its PC counterpart as less abstraction is needed with the hardware.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]while i implore your enthusiasm, unfortunatly what you propose was the problem with the graphics industry before dx and ogl became standards, games had to be written specifically for certain graphics cards and this often pushed up dev time when you had a myriad of gpu's.Althought i do agree that microsoft needs to open up DX to the wider O/s community.[/citation]

Sure, I understand that there needs to be a standard across different manufacturers, to keep a consistent experience for all users. However, this is a console we are talking about, with specially locked down hardware. GPUs carry a finite number of instruction sets for direct x, however, this does not mean they need to be limited to a very specific set of functions and processes.... After all, their potential is really starting to be realised in processing tasks other than games, being used to compute complicated calculations for many different tasks. These companies really need to open themselves up to more public innovation.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Six times as powerful sounds good, but I'm still dissapointed by the card. When the 360 launched the Radeon x1800 was still on the upper end of what you could get on PC at the time, even though the Geforce 8800 launched soon after with huge performance leaps. For late 2013, I would expect the Nextbox to at LEAST have the Graphics Core Next architecture, namely the 7k series. Then again the latter mainly improves general purpose compute performance and is only evolutionary in game performance, so maybe a tweaked 6k series would give better performance. But still, late 2013 is a while off, I wanted the next generation consoles to ship with whatever is new at the time of launch, not something that will be two years old by then.

And even if they do use the 6k series, the 6670 is a budget card. Yes, consoles won't be pushing the resolutions PC's can, so it may be adequate for significantly better looking games on 1080p, but for future-proofing and giving developers headroom, 3D gaming, etc?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Six times as powerful sounds good, but I'm still dissapointed by the card. When the 360 launched the Radeon x1800 was still on the upper end of what you could get on PC at the time, even though the Geforce 8800 launched soon after with huge performance leaps. For late 2013, I would expect the Nextbox to at LEAST have the Graphics Core Next architecture, namely the 7k series. Then again the latter mainly improves general purpose compute performance and is only evolutionary in game performance, so maybe a tweaked 6k series would give better performance. But still, late 2013 is a while off, I wanted the next generation consoles to ship with whatever is new at the time of launch, not something that will be two years old by then. And even if they do use the 6k series, the 6670 is a budget card. Yes, consoles won't be pushing the resolutions PC's can, so it may be adequate for significantly better looking games on 1080p, but for future-proofing and giving developers headroom, 3D gaming, etc?[/citation]

im thinking 60fps for a standard 1080p and 30fps for the game in 3d, that will most likey be the standard.

like i said in my above post, that is getting downvoted probably because i hit a nerve with the people who want gaming to require 4 6990 to run even a measly 20fps, next gen will be the one that really pushes the engines games can make due to the hardware in those chipsets.

all they need to do is increase texture resolutions, i dont want to see a bad testure unless im trying to get within 1 foot of a wall or im trying to posission an object so its right in front of the camera.

its funny to me how little people know about graphics, and still complain about graphics at the same time, i'm still waiting for someone to tell me the ground breaking graphical advancement that wont be supported because consoles cant handle it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS