Should I get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X

Hayes_

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Hello Everyone!
Right, so I play all of my games on my PC and have been using the Logitch G930s for a little while and am now considering getting a standalone microphone and headphones. The main game I play is Counter Strike Global Offensive and I play competitively. The G930s aren't bad in terms of audio as well as microphone quality but I'd like it to be better! I have looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X. In terms of gaming I've heard that the AD700X are absolutely incredible with the amazing sound stage which of course is something very important for positional games, like CS. However, I would also like to use my headphones for music on the go, like on my phone. I've heard of course they would be good for music as well however they do lack bass and I'm not necessarily a bass head but it always nice. Of course, I could get the AD700X for my PC and then another pair for my music but of course I'd like it to be one pair - it's cheaper that way for one. Although also some of the main places I'll listen to music is college, and if these are open back then sure the sound leakage will be significantly worse than the DT 770 headphones. If anyone can help give any deciding factors for either of these then that would be great and any other recommendations would be appreciated too. Thanks! Also the sort of music I listen to varies from chillstep, dubstep, electronic, house, rock, power metal, etc..most things!
Cheers guys!

Solution
the dt770 and ad700x are two completely different headphones about as far apart in terms of "sound" as you can get. apples compared to cucumbers (instead of apples to apples).

the ad700x has a huge soundstage, is focused on highs and mids with almost no bass (which makes hearing footsteps easy and makes it great for competitive play as it gives you an advantage) and is open with a more airy sound. the dt770 has a smaller soundstage, significant bass output, closed design with more closed in sound.

the middleground would be something like the hd598 (or cheaper hd558 or hd518 if on a budget). not as much soundstaging as the ad700x, nor the bass of the dt770 but it has decent soundstage, neutral sound with fair but mild bass (alot more...

dwnelson

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
Game > Music - $$ ATH-AD700x/900x or $ Takstar Monitor Hi-fi 2050
Game = Music - $$$ AKG K553 Pro
Music > Game - $$$ DT770 or $$$ ATH-M50

All - $$$$ Beyerdynamic DT990 (may require amplification for phones etc - likely fine on modern computer audio)

|-|eadphones

the dt770 and ad700x are two completely different headphones about as far apart in terms of "sound" as you can get. apples compared to cucumbers (instead of apples to apples).

the ad700x has a huge soundstage, is focused on highs and mids with almost no bass (which makes hearing footsteps easy and makes it great for competitive play as it gives you an advantage) and is open with a more airy sound. the dt770 has a smaller soundstage, significant bass output, closed design with more closed in sound.

the middleground would be something like the hd598 (or cheaper hd558 or hd518 if on a budget). not as much soundstaging as the ad700x, nor the bass of the dt770 but it has decent soundstage, neutral sound with fair but mild bass (alot more than the ad700x but far less than the dt770). its a good set of cans which gos right down the middle.

agree that the dt990 is a good choice, if you like v-shaped curves to your sound profile. sharp sparkly highs (some find them a bit too sharp) and surprisingly good bass even though they are open cans. more airy sound since they are open with a nice soundstage. good comfort. they do require amplification (there is no may, its an absolute) as the dt990pro-250 (which is the only affordable version) is very hard to drive (schiit magni amp suggested)

if you prefer more neutral, the dt880pro is a good choice, though also needs an amp like the 990. semi-open cans.

--

sound leakage is not typically a huge issue unless you blare your music at loud volumes. in most cases at normal volume levels even clip on microphones like the modmic will not pick up sound from your headphones even if open-back despite them being semi-audible from leaking. yes, if you have higher volume levels people very close to you may hear some of it but not from far distances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h98XY1und0A gives you an idea (skip to end) of what leak is like on open cans.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS