May 5, 2014
Hello Guys!

I cannot find anything related to my problem on the web.

i have a Sony home theatre bdv-e2100 and a GTX680 Gigabyte GPU.

I want to connect the HDMI output from my Video card to the HDMI ARC input on my Home theatre (I want 5.1 channel audio or surround), however that doesnt works, I do not get any audio output... can anyone tell me if I just need to configure something on the PC to get that audio or I need a sound card with SPDIF or something like that?

You quick response is highly appreciatted!

tomc53

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
Most times the audio will not transfer to the HDMI automatically. You need to go into the sound settings under control panel and look at output devices. Assuming your sound card supports HDMI audio, it should show up as an aoption to be selected. Make it the default, and you should have sound. Keep in mind that whi9le that is enabled, the regular headphone jack will not function.

^this
hdmi output needs to be set to the default. this could appear as either hdmi or your actual device name.

it should look similar to this if using win7 (i'm using dvi not hdmi though thats the only difference)

Untitled.png

May 5, 2014
ssddx.. mister I just did, but it doesnt say nvidia in grey (Via HD audio thats all).... is it compatible with my ARC on Sony HT? how did you get the nvidia audio output?

I do not have the HDMI output nvidia in my icons... I cannot select it, what driver did you install? do you have it connected to your HT?

remember that to get sound via hdmi on your home theater you typically need to set your receiver (the HT control box) to the correct input. in this case your auxilliary hdmi input. it might not appear in your sound settings unless you have your HT set up to be receving input from this port. (this might be why its greyed out)

if that is not the case, then you can read the text in the spoiler below.

what options show up for you under sound playback devices (list them all) when you have your home theater connected via hdmi from video card hdmi output to home theater hdmi input?

typically connecting from hdmi output on your pc to the hdmi input on your home theater will work fine. you do have an hdmi input according the the specifications i saw (is this correct?) and if so should accept the signal.

yes, i do have a home theater system (albiet not a all-in-on-box type... mine is about 6x as expensive) and i'm connected via my dvi-d output (basically the same as via hdmi out). i am using whatever the newest nvidia drivers were (i have an nvidia card... if you use ati get ati drivers) but generally that should not matter much for you getting signal or not.

a note about ARC... this stands for audio return channel. it is used to backfeed audio information through the hdmi output (not input) into the home theater from the television when you arent using that line for video playing on the home theater. it has no purpose on an input port

if your tv supports ARC you could try hooking up your pc to the tv instead and seeing if it will backfeed through ARC. this should also work abliet it isnt as preferred.

--

why isnt it working?

thats a hard call to make without more testing...

-perhaps a bad hdmi cable (does the cable work with other devices?)
-perhaps you dont have the drivers installed for it (do you have the newest graphics card drivers? also what graphics card? do you have any other ports such as dvi-d?)
-perhaps there is an issue with the home theater and accepting hdmi inputs. its a rather cheap HT and hdmi inputs are not very common on those so perhaps there is some kind of issue going on (does the hdmi input work for other devices?)
-perhaps something on your pc is configured wrong (under nvidia or ati sound settings AND windows sound settings whare are you getting as playback device options?)

May 5, 2014
=( I think am not explaining myself, I have a GTx680 with the HDMI output connected to my sony HDMI ARC... (Am not sure this HDMI ARC works as an input directly from my GPU and this is something I do not know! please tell me =( ) it does not get recognized... can someone tell me if this connection is posible or do I really need to get an AMP?... or what do I need to do.. previous answers did not work =(

Do I need to set my pc to send another kind of audio format?

as far as i can tell your home theater has two hdmi ports. an input(non-arc) and an output(arc).

it should work fine for the input. i can not guarantee that it will work for the arc output jack though.

the control box for the home theater already includes and amp to power the speakers. your issue is with connectivity and not hardware.