Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltyWetTheorist

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I got an Asus laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed and I've upgraded it to Windows 8.1. I've been encountering lots of problems since. I decided to change it to Windows 7 but I got some things I wanted to know first.

My screen resolution is 1366x768. Will the Windows 7 resolution be the same or I will still need to find drivers for it?

The touchscreen for my laptop, how should I let it work on Windows 7?

Solution
Before you go and torpedo your laptop, you should acquire drivers for all of the important hardware you plan to use. Go to the website for the manufacturer of the laptop, or to the manufacturer of the individual components.

Download drivers for:

Video
Audio
Networking (both wired and wireless)

Provided you have those drivers, you should be able to run the system fairly well.

I also strongly recommend drivers for the touchpad on the laptop, as the generic drivers don't always have very good response characteristics.

As for the resolution of your display after installing Windows 7, this will depend entirely on whether or not Windows recognizes the graphics device in your laptop and has drivers for it, or can otherwise recognize and...

EasyLover

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Screen resolution will definitely work in Windows 7. You can use touch screen on Windows 7 using WindowsTouch utility by Microsoft. Professional and Ultimate editions of Windows 7 support them.

Happy Hunting!

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Before you go and torpedo your laptop, you should acquire drivers for all of the important hardware you plan to use. Go to the website for the manufacturer of the laptop, or to the manufacturer of the individual components.

Download drivers for:

Video
Audio
Networking (both wired and wireless)

Provided you have those drivers, you should be able to run the system fairly well.

I also strongly recommend drivers for the touchpad on the laptop, as the generic drivers don't always have very good response characteristics.

As for the resolution of your display after installing Windows 7, this will depend entirely on whether or not Windows recognizes the graphics device in your laptop and has drivers for it, or can otherwise recognize and drive your screen using it's generic drivers. Either way, you should download the most current drivers from the graphics manufacturer's website.

Solution

EasyLover

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

No dear. It will depend upon your graphics card, once your card is recognized and you have installed the drivers then Windows 7 will automatically give you the maximum resolution available, subject to the hardware.

SaltyWetTheorist

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

Hi bigpinkdragon286. Thanks for your reply. I tried to look for the drivers but my laptop only comes with Windows 8 version. I went to the Asus site http://www.asus.com/my/supportonly/S550CM/#support_Download and for the OS I chose others but it doesn't provide the video, audio and networking drivers. Can I have any idea where can I get them?

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
You have not provided details to the actual hardware you have, so we can't say with any certainty whether the drivers you have are correct, but the big three graphics providers are NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel.

As for Windows 7 specific drivers, the biggest category you want to look for is Vista x64 compatible, if you're running 64-bit Windows, or Vista x86 compatible for the 32-bit edition of Windows. Vista drivers should work all the way through Windows 8, with perhaps a few caveats.

While I don't mind helping you out with a few things, I disagree with your decision to downgrade your laptop from 8 or 8.1 to 7. You'll probably lose about 10% battery run-time doing so, as 8.x is a far more efficient, if not noticeably faster version of Windows.

Did you try to sort out the problems you were having with Windows 8.1 before you made the decision to downgrade to Windows 7? There's a good chance somebody in the forum here can help you sort out what you were experiencing, rather than dive into territory you seem to be unsure about. Did you consider just rolling back to and running Windows 8 as the manufacturer intended? And did you realize that unless Asus included a downgrade ability with your laptop, you will need to purchase a license for Windows 7 to be able to use it legally on your laptop. Your Windows 8 license does not grant you a license to use Windows 7 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.