Status
Not open for further replies.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Ban it. Good job.

I am sick and tired of supporting "free leechers"

yeah, you heard me.

Back up my butt. I have almost 50 PS3 games never had one single scratch on it. Blu-Ray has a protective layer. if you still manage to scratch the disc, you're the problem so stop whinning.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]People will still find ways of getting it. Like the R4.[/citation]
nintendo ds piracy protection is a joke compared to sony's

they've been seriously piracy free since its release, that's a feat in itself

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Fun fact: They put bleem out of business this way too! The funny thing was, US courts couldn't actually find anything illegal about their emulator [I know this case is different], and Sony ended up taking them to court over the copyrighted game art on the back of the box. Derp!

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]Ban it. Good job.I am sick and tired of supporting "free leechers"yeah, you heard me.Back up my butt. I have almost 50 PS3 games never had one single scratch on it. Blu-Ray has a protective layer. if you still manage to scratch the disc, you're the problem so stop whinning.[/citation]

I'm not sure what practical use this had to begin with... you could play games off the HDD, right? I guess that's good but it obviously brings about a lot of piracy.. not so good.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
So, change the game art and it's free to all? Anyway, I think that piracy does drives console sales. The more open a system is, the easier it is to sell them to others. I can see that here in Brazil where a PS3 game costs us around $100.. The people buying consoles ask me "What should I get?", and I always answer the PS3 (I own one) but when they ask me about pirated games they will always stick with the 360/wii because games costs $4 (wii) to $8 (360)..

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I always figured the reason it hasn't been cracked is lack of interest.. Even now, blu-ray burners are well over a hundred dollars and a DL disc is $20+

In the PS2 days it was like $75 for 100 discs at the worst of times, later in it's cycle you could get stacks of 100 for $10-20. 100 games for ~$30 is a lot more interesting than one game for $20+

ben1680

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I don't think Sony can prevent the sale successfully in the long term. When the PS3 homebrew being developed, so are the legal usage of this device will be apparent and as what happen to other local case here, they will not be able to prevent the sale of this devices.
Also, how can they prevent import, since this devices originated in Asia? Plug local sale, the other hole will open up.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
[citation][nom]hibyprime[/nom]I always figured the reason it hasn't been cracked is lack of interest.. Even now, blu-ray burners are well over a hundred dollars and a DL disc is $20+In the PS2 days it was like $75 for 100 discs at the worst of times, later in it's cycle you could get stacks of 100 for $10-20. 100 games for ~$30 is a lot more interesting than one game for $20+[/citation]

Thats not entirely ture... during a trip to asia I found copy blu-ray movies selling for RM:30 ($10 US). The only difference between a copy movie and an original one is that the copy disks are only single layer. However, when comparing the exact same movie on both the pirate a legit disc, I couldn't tell any difference.

In short, China could probally pump out hundreds of pirated ps3 games pretty cheap...

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]Ban it. Good job.I am sick and tired of supporting "free leechers"yeah, you heard me.Back up my butt. I have almost 50 PS3 games never had one single scratch on it. Blu-Ray has a protective layer. if you still manage to scratch the disc, you're the problem so stop whinning.[/citation]
Piss off... I certainly don't fancy paying $64.99 for each damn game... especially if it has no multiplayer... sure I'll manage to pay for those that have mp, but the solo games.. I definitely am not gonna shell out that much cash..

Not everyone is filthy rich you know?

Besides, piracy... for the most part is legal (as long as it's not for commercial use..where I live anyways)

G

@cj_online, do you have to be rich to rent a game ($5 per game)? Or subscribe for a rental service (e.g. $15/mo)?
Granted, you'll have to wait abit - but you can still play most of the games w/o breaking the bank if you rent them.
Or you just want to play the latest and greatest and don't pay at all? Nice idea, but mind you in the real world you'd eventually get jailed if you try the same with cars, clothes and stuff.
So what is your point? Computer industry should not charge us at all?

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I already paid for the hefty priced console itself + a few games (Renting costs more than buying the whole game itself... I don't keep upgrading every month or so... I stick to a game for a while)

An unemployed full time student will indeed struggle to pay for the supposed "latest and greatest".

G

It's rather ironic, really...

My elder brother is a programmer. He has a ball programming on the PS3 - even though the graphics hardware is off-limits to the Linux installation. However, this has meant he's unable to update his firmware because that will render his console useless for that purpose. This, by extension, means he can never buy another game for it because of the included updates - effectively cutting off the revenue source for Sony, since they have to sell the hardware at a loss. Further, he can't just buy a new console because the slim machines don't have PS2 compatibility.

With something like this USB device, he can purchase a new, slim console (not a profit to Sony, but still a sale), use the stick and install Linux on it for use strictly as a programming device. He can then update his fat console for gaming purposes so he can maintain his PS2 compatibility, meaning purchasing more games meaning more profit for Sony.

Sure, there are pirates. But there are also legimiate uses. It's the same people that get this thing banned that got Linux on PS3 banned in the first place.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cj_online[/nom]n't keep upgrading every month or so... I stick to a game for a while)An unemployed full time student will indeed struggle to pay for the supposed "latest and greatest".[/citation]
An unemployed, full-time student doesn't need the latest and greatest. They don't need games at all.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cj_online[/nom]I already paid for the hefty priced console itself + a few games (Renting costs more than buying the whole game itself... I don't keep upgrading every month or so... I stick to a game for a while)An unemployed full time student will indeed struggle to pay for the supposed "latest and greatest".[/citation]

If you can't afford the 'latest and greatest', you don't deserve the latest and greatest. People should stop thinking that not being able to pay something gives them the right to steal it.

Do some holiday/vacation work and use the money to buy some legit games. Trust me, it works...

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cj_online[/nom]I already paid for the hefty priced console itself + a few games (Renting costs more than buying the whole game itself... I don't keep upgrading every month or so... I stick to a game for a while)An unemployed full time student will indeed struggle to pay for the supposed "latest and greatest".[/citation]
unemployed? Get a job, losers can't be choosers. Full time student? Then keep your head in the books, your in the wrong website if your trying to save money.
Its probably people like you who try's to save money by buying copied games that software companies make crappy games cause they don't have the cash to make a good one.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]cj_online[/nom]Piss off... I certainly don't fancy paying $64.99 for each damn game... especially if it has no multiplayer... sure I'll manage to pay for those that have mp, but the solo games.. I definitely am not gonna shell out that much cash..Not everyone is filthy rich you know?Besides, piracy... for the most part is legal (as long as it's not for commercial use..where I live anyways)[/citation]

if you can't afford it, don't play it?

there are more things to do out there.

I can't afford a lot of things, should I just steal them all simply because "oh I can't afford it, so I just gonna "take" it without paying, I think thats fair"

Agreed with soky602.

People like cj_online simply fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.