Trial Delayed in Palin Hacking Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Is the lawyer calling his client an unsophisticated hacker? I wonder if the penalty for murder with frying pan is different from murder with a 2 lb. heat sink.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
the lawyer is trying to show that his client is just a kid being silly and goofing around opposed to a malicious individual trying to subvert her campaign and steal inside, secret information

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Why is Yahoo not getting any dirt for only offering security questions that are so easily researched? I couldn't find a single question in there that my parents couldn't answer.

G

As to the lawyers trying to show that the "kid" was just being silly
and goofing off... It doesn't matter. If you steal a car just to take
it for a joy ride, as some kids do, it's still car theft, and the same as if you stole a car to keep or sell off. The motive has no bearing on if a crime was committed, only what he did determines if it was a crime. They may take into account the motive when it comes to punishment, but not to determine if the crime was a crime.

Also they guy was not a kid, if I remember right he was of legal age, he was in college. And since his father was a congressman in the opposing party it looks like it could have been for malicious purposes.

G

The poor kid is getting sued for showing how easy it is to "break" into a hotmail with the correct information. I'm sure the password she used was her zip number or the name of her high school or something easy as that. And from reading the article above it wouldn't surprise me that the only thing he did was to have an automatic message sent to a email previously specified by Palin with a new soudo random password. And lastly had this not been an American vice-presidential candidate this would never even had gotten the attention of Yahoo. This is just sad and says alot about what kind of person Palin is.

Hrafn from Iceland.

G

Ezuz, you're post says a lot about what kind of a person you are. He hacked her email address because he wanted to destroy her, not to show how easy it was to break into a Yahoo account. He had malicious intent and should be punished. How would you like it if someone hacked your email and posted all of your personal messages on the internet? I'm sure you would be upset.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I just think it is funny that the user above named "rake" didn't even read the above article that clearly states he is 20 years old in the 2nd line and Ezuz seems to think it was a Hotmail account. I am pretty sure the Intel/Yahoo deal did NOT happen.

G

I love the easy = less of a crime logic... I hear you get less time if you manage to burglar an unlocked house, because it was easier then a house with an alarm or a locker door. Your honor...I was just trying to show people how easy it is to steal!

Cars? I think you get half the time for stealing a car that is unlocked then one that is locked.

Committing a crime that is "easy" isn't mitigation. When are people going to be held accountable for their actions and not blame everything on the systems, "the man", my upraising, eating twinkies, etc.

It's like that idiot who sued McDonalds because they put a cup of hot coffee between their legs and drove out of the drivethru that way and burned themselves. It's McDonald's fault for not saying caution hot coffee? really?!? Perhaps they should've also drawn a picture showing not to put the coffee between your legs as you drive away.

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Let's not forget that Palin was in the wrong for using this address to conduct government business. I don't see her facing charges.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Jei[/nom]Ezuz, you're post says a lot about what kind of a person you are. He hacked her email address because he wanted to destroy her, not to show how easy it was to break into a Yahoo account. He had malicious intent and should be punished. How would you like it if someone hacked your email and posted all of your personal messages on the internet? I'm sure you would be upset.[/citation]

Palin never needed any help destroying her self in every way possible. This kid was makign yahoo look dumb. It would take someone of the calibur of bush to make palins stupid ass look dumber then she makes her self look every day.

Seriously i dont care and this isnt news. palin is a idiot why do idiots get so much attention. Big deal set the kid free and fry this woman and do alaskans a favor.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]hellscook[/nom]Let's not forget that Palin was in the wrong for using this address to conduct government business. I don't see her facing charges.[/citation]

I think that's the biggest point here, and no one (except you hellscook) seems to get it. She clearly violated law and policy regarding government/party related business on a personal email account. Is she being held accountable for this? Not even a slap on the wrist. Everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten about her role in all of this. Now, moving on to Kernell. Yes, he also violated policy and law. As stated, the positive revelations of his acts do not mitigate the criminal nature of them. He took it upon himself to act without authorization and should stand up and own his actions and accept responsibility for them. Probation and a fine, end of story. He did not steal her identity, nor did he fraudulently communicate through her account (both of which would have been MUCH more damaging to Palin, and damning to Kernell). Following a reasonable judgement against Kernell, what SHOULD happen (but won't) would be Palin put in the hot seat and expected to explain and be accountable for her own actions. Not only the obvious violation of government/party business in a personal space, but the idiocy displayed by leaving herself so vulnerable to intrusion. Anyone in these types of positions should be WELL informed about online security practices.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Is the lawyer calling his client an unsophisticated hacker? I wonder if the penalty for murder with frying pan is different from murder with a 2 lb. heat sink.[/citation]

Dude are you trying to compare murdering someone to hacking? The kid is not a hacker. 90% of criminals on the internet are not hackers, they are merely individuals that come across free tools that where developed by a "hacker" or "cracker" and use them for their own purpose. To be identified as a true hacker means you are a extremely intelligent person that has skill superior to most. Most of these people are on the very same level or higher than the system engineers and programmers that design the product or system.

Just my 2cents.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]E7130[/nom]Dude are you trying to compare murdering someone to hacking? The kid is not a hacker. 90% of criminals on the internet are not hackers, they are merely individuals that come across free tools that where developed by a "hacker" or "cracker" and use them for their own purpose. To be identified as a true hacker means you are a extremely intelligent person that has skill superior to most. Most of these people are on the very same level or higher than the system engineers and programmers that design the product or system.Just my 2cents.[/citation]
A criminal is a criminal and should be treated as a criminal. It doesn’t matter his skill or tools he used. As long as he committed the crime, he should be punished.

Status
Not open for further replies.