Status
Not open for further replies.

lallison74

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
Hello. I have an Elitebook 8770w that is not booting nor outputting video. Immediately after plugging in the AC adapter, the machine powers up on its own and the fans run at 100%. In addition, the keyboard backlighting briefly works. Front panel LEDs on solid are power and hard drive, with the wireless light solid at times. Had caps/num lock show a "1" blink code which is usually a CPU issue. No video on the internal LCD nor external monitor. Keyboard lights up, but no response when any keys are pressed.

Did a hard reset but it did not help.

Swapped out the CPU and mainboard and tried booting up using only one stick of RAM, no hard drives or DVD, no docking station, no usb devices, and no external monitor.

Same exact problem. Swapped the new CPU with the original...no change.

HP Business Support is sending a box to ship the unit in for repair. It's 2 months out of warranty.

I almost have to be missing something here.

Unit worked flawlessly until the afternoon of the above problem.

Please advise. Thank you.

Hi,

Based from the troubleshooting steps you've already performed with your laptop it's going to be a hardware issue the motherboard to be exact. I would just proceed sending it back to HP for a repair to be sure plus you don't want to void any warranty during some troubleshooting. :)

lallison74

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016
I'm a couple months out of warranty so no worries there. I did put a new factory sealed motherboard and known good CPU and RAM. It has the same symptoms with the new hardware. With no battery installed, the computer powers on by itself as soon as the AC adapter gets connected and the fan kicks up to max speed for maybe a minute. Power and hard disk lights go solid. The 1-blink code certainly would point to a CPU fault, but both the original CPU and the one I just installed passed a standard stress test in another computer. All 4 RAM chips are fine and work in other computers. It's down to bare bones config with 1 ram stick, GPU, CPU, and NO hard drive or dvd rom. Seems strange that the activity is exactly the same no matter which board/CPU combo is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.